Thread: Bonehill britiannia rearsight variations...

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia

Bonehill britiannia rearsight variations...

I was aware of the spring leaf:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tjm_45...7618942595781/

and the see saw (Courtesty of trev's page):

but never seen a see-saw with peepsight flip up before ?

Last edited by Shed tuner; 17-06-2018 at 01:35 PM.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    l have never heard of or seen the spring rear sight like the one in the first photo, which looks like a replacement sight to me. but l could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by micky2 View Post
    l have never heard of or seen the spring rear sight like the one in the first photo, which looks like a replacement sight to me. but l could be wrong.
    I seem to recall that I have only seen them on the sure shots.

I have seen some the flip sight but I dont think there is many of them.

Mine is supposed to have the see saw sight. Also mine has the number 2 stamped just behind the rear sight blade that is part of the main body (If you look at the rifle from the top, look to where the rear sight is supposed to be and it is just there stamped on the frame) any idea what this means? (its a .177)

Here is a more up close shot of the rear see saw sight taken from an image from a june 2015 Holts auction

Quote Originally Posted by micky2 View Post
    Hi Mick,

There were 4 types of Britannia rearsight:

Very early models, which transitioned from the 1902 Patent Cox model and Britannia had a fixed rearsight.

Rifles numbered up to approximately the 600 mark had a folding leaf and fixed leaf.

Rifles numbered from the low 600s to around SN 1200 had the sprung leaf, which is the one you enquired about.

By SN 1200 and up to the end of production, the sea saw sight was fitted.

The highest SN I know of is your old .25 example: 3403, which currently resides in my humble collection.

Hope that helps.

John

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Hi Mick,

Very early models, which transitioned from the 1902 Patent Cox model and Britannia had a fixed rearsight.

Rifles numbered up to approximately the 600 mark had a folding leaf and fixed leaf.

Rifles numbered from the low 600s to around SN 1200 had the sprung leaf, which is the one you enquired about.

The highest SN I know of is your old .25 example: 3403, which currently resides in my humble collection.

Hope that helps.

John
    Hi John many thanks for the info. that as ansered the question on my Anglo sure shot SN891 which is missing it's rear sight, l will have to look out for the spring type sight which l don't recall ever seeing. l can add a little bit more info, my one with the flolding leaf sight is SN 715 and all the rest l have owned have had the see-saw sights apart from the 1st patt which as the fixed sight.

ATB,
    Mick.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Hi Mick,

Hope that helps.

John
    Mine is a .177 serial number 926. It has the see saw sight seen in my previous post. Guess there were some were fitted with spare parts at the factory maybe?

Forgot to add that mine is not a Anglo Sure shot