Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
Hello Beesa Pete.

Buttoning (or Delrin ring):- Would always have to be seen as a good idea to reduce metal to metal contact. However, on reassembly, I always grease the rear of the skirt. Then, once the piston is pushed fully forwards I always smear some more moly grease on the inside circumference of the cylinder, behind the piston. Recommended by Steve Pope in his fitting kit instructions so it has to be good advice and it's always worked for me. Using synthetic bearings would reduce the amount of lubrication required in this vital area.

Best weight for the piston? Blimey, that's a BIG question and the answer very much depends on the individual gun, bore and stroke dimensions, transfer port size, preload, spring force and even the pellet used.

In terms of seal fit, I'd prefer to go for a "push fit" rather than the piston dropping under its own weight thinking, but it does seem to be down to personal preference.

Sorry it's all sounding a little of a cop-out, but like so many aspects of springer tuning, much of it is down to the individual.
Hi Tone,

Hope you had a good weekend boingering yourself stupid

I know most tunes are down to personal preference and as for all the difference figures, I wasn't sure if there was a 'starting point' so to say or an idealish sort of figure to head for and then do your fine adjustments from there, I understand it's a complicated science which only a few have mastered over the years.

I often read springer tuning threads and people get replies like "your pistons too heavy" and other such answers, I know the piston in project 'cock is a bit on the light side (according to JB at the time of us chatting about it) but I'll have to weigh the Supersport piston when it's out and see what would be best.

Thanks for your input yet again Tone

Pete