Thread: Brocock Contour leaking filling fitting.

Brocock Contour leaking filling fitting.

Hi Guys,

Before I 'go in', and start unscrewing things, can anybody guide me?

I filled my daughters Brocock Contour today and when screwing the cap back on, I noticed the cap was vibrating on the threads. I put my tongue on the filling hole and air is leaking out.

So I assume I can simply fire the gun until the cylinder is empty, unscrew the filler and service/replace as needed?

Can they be serviced or replaced and can I buy the parts from Best Fittings?

Thanks.

OK,

No reply here for info, so I just shot out all the air until empty anyway and unscrewed the value.

I'll get a new one from BF, fit and fill back up. I hope I've not damaged it by draining all the air out

Should be fine.
    Not emptying first = damage to you.

Yes, you'd certainly shoot it empty of air before attempting to unscrew the Foster valve. And then go very carefully as you unscrew it, to satisfy yourself that there's no remaining pressure behind it.

From memory - Yes Brocock use a similar valve to the BF item as linked above.

The BF valve is strippable / serviceable, as I would imagine the Brocock valve is - so I doubt you need to order a new valve.

If the slow leak is from the center of the valve - that's commonly caused by a tiny bit of grit ingress, or a dry / perished seal in the valve.

If you're removing the valve, you might want to try blowing it through with a drop of Pellgunoil or silicon oil.

You'll see what I mean if you Google "foster valve service" images.

Here's the picture I was looking for:

https://www.bestfittings.co.uk/shop/...e-valves-only/

A slow leak out from the middle of the valve is often a tiny bit of dirt / grit between the small o-ring and where it seats in the valve body... that or an old / dry o-ring.

The valve came out with no problems.
    it was leaking from the sprung valve in the middle.
    The original does not look like the ones BF sell.
    The Brocock valve has a deepish shoulder on it going down into the cylinder.
    I expect the O-ring has worn out as it seems to have developed a shoulder (unless it's moulded like that?)

I'm waiting on a reply from Brocock to buy a new valve.

Thanks.

Could you just ensure the internals of the inlet valve is clean, and replace the o-ring, if it's an o-ring?

As an image search for "foster valve service" shows - some examples have an o-ring, others have a harder nylon seal.
    Last edited by Rickenbacker; 18-06-2018 at 03:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunbeam View Post
    ...I'm waiting on a reply from Brocock to buy a new valve.....
    Good luck with that one matey, Brocock are not the most helpful people when it comes to asking for technical assistance. Sounds like you're nearly there anyway.
    Atb.
    HuMa regulated S200 .22...
    Artemis PP800 .177...
    Weihrauch HW45 .177

There are two seals on the centre shaft, one large, one small.

The small one is definitely donut shaped and I suspect the larger one was once upon a time!

If both seals are donut shaped and I can simply measure them and buy new ones 'off the shelf' in those sizes, would they be of a certain rubber type?

The small o ring seems to be OK, the larger one is dead.

The large one is 2mm ID, 5.5mm OD, 2mm thick, black in colour and quite hard.

Edit,

Just had a hunt on rubbishbay and found a 2mm C/S x 2mm ID in Nitrile 70 Shore, £1.80 delivered in the UK.
    I bought it and I'm guessing it will be OK. If not, it will just leak again I suppose?

Edit,

I just bought a BF fitting as well under their recommendation as a back up.
    Last edited by MrChipShoulder; 19-06-2018 at 09:31 AM.

The rubbishbay o ring seems to be holding for now, but Brocock have stepped up big time and offered my daughter a new valve

So I'll keep the o ring in so she can use her gun until the new unit turns up.

New Brocock seals fitted and working as intended, thank you Brocock
    BF 1/8 BSP came and does fit the recess, but keeping that as a spare for one day

Also had a fiddle with the trigger and got it totally perfect, almost as good as my Steyr LP10 pistol
    To get it this good the spring coils had to be heated with a pencil torch and flattened then trimmed off. Just kept doing a little at a time until the springs were just right. It's an absolute joy to shoot now and brings a smile every time the trigger is pulled

I'm glad you had a good result with the valve, and your trigger-work sounds most impressive.