Thread: Galling I think.

Galling I think.

I removed the stock from my 99s the other day whilst cleaning it and noticed about 1" of shiny metal on one side of the cylinder slot. I assume this is the infamous galling problem. Is there anything I can do to to stop or slow down this problem that's not too technical. Apart from that it is a really good little springer with outstanding accuracy in .177. Thanks.

Galling I think.

You'll need to carefully file a little metal off the arm where it's touching & epoxy glue in a delrin or similar insert in that place then file it down to 1mm proud or less till the rifle cocks smoothly, lube with a little moly then re assemble.(but not if you have the later type cocking arm with an insert already in place just taking off a little metal on the contact side in that case)

Yep.

And some just remove the spring from below the insert on the later type arms.

Never a bad idea to make sure that the cocking arm "horn" is smoothed off and lubed, too.

On some of the earlier versions, you may need to smooth off the cocking linkage "knuckle".
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

I discovered my galling problem in a similar way. I had been oblivious too it.

There are loads of threads and helpful suggestions on here. Just do a search and you will be reading for hours.

I sorted mine out after a bit of filing and trial and error.