Thread: Hw97 guru’s

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by peddy View Post
    What pellets have been tried? Though any pellet in my HW's manages a decent group. I tried to buy this 97 as it seemed a good buy, hope you get it sorted.
    I’ve used rws super domes in it and they have done well over the years

Been stripped down all look over cannot see anything obvious nothing moving that shouldn’t

Nothing in the way of the pellet chucked another 100 or so pellets through h and n super point I think they were some pellets I found in my draw from my youth but they fit the barrel really tight so thought it may lead it up

Will see how it’s grouping tomorrow on my firing range not much more I can think of really as there isn’t to much that can cause bad grouping like that with the power being so accurate

How was the barrel cleaned? Could the crown be damaged?

I was down the club today and I guy I trust mentioned a 97k he was asked to look at with the same symptoms, turned out the glue which held on the silencer/catch had broken down. Could it be that?
    Rich.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Shame you can't push a pellet through to see if any damage. Why don't you fire into a deep bucket of water, the pellet shouldn't damage with the impact and may show rifling problem. If this is a stupid idea please ignore!!

If it were mine I would first strip out the cylinder and back block.
    Hold cylinder up to the light and see if it is a clear straight path out the silencer.
    Check silencer for clipping.
    Push a pellet up breech and gently push through bore to see if any tightspots , see if it falls right out the crown end, indicating if there is a problem with barrel choke.
    Next I would change pellets and go for a new tin in a different batch.. sometimes I have had a tin of jsbs enacts that some fit lovely and others in the same tin nearly fall out the breech.. make sure you technique is the same for every shot fired..

How's the trigger? Is the second stage nice and light? Or hard? Could you be pulling the shot?..

If all is fine I would change the scope for one you trust and fit and see. You are trying to eliminate problems.,

I had a hw97 that shot spot on a number of years ago and it turned out to be the mtc scope was not holding zero.. put another on and it was back on target..

Another idea from me I am afraid. Mine lost accuracy once, turned out the front stock screws were loose. Tightening them returned everything to normal.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

If you belong to a gun club take it along.. Don't say to anyone you think you have a problem with it.. just let others shoot it and see how they get on.. it might surprise you

Quick update I will update better after work and answer questions stripped it couldn’t see anything down the barrel ect put it all back together and it grouped to about 15mm over 25 meters did it again and similar result

Almost put it away but just checked one more 5 shotgroup and it was all over the place again so put it away in frustration
    Last edited by astraman1; 26-06-2018 at 03:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    Another idea from me I am afraid. Mine lost accuracy once, turned out the front stock screws were loose. Tightening them returned everything to normal.
    The rear (small) trigger guard screw tightened to much is a guarantee for a lot of PITA.

Why is that?