Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hw97 guru’s

Hw97 guru’s

Ok bit of back story I have a 97 and I sold it to a member here and was contacted a couple of days after saying it wouldn’t group so I took it back

It’s been a while but I’m getting round to figuring it out now I’ve done a 10 shot chrono string and the difference between the highest and lowest was 16fps low being 548 high being 564

There is a bracket which holds the front of the stock to the action and this is loose

Should it be loose of should it be fixed

The action is not moving in the stock so I’m guessing it’s fine

I’m going to shoot it tomorrow to see how it groups myself I have a picture of the bracket which I will try and add to this post in a second

Perfectly normal for the bracket to move.

Bracket

I think it should be loose , it is on my HW77 anyway and that shoots spot on !

Cheers mate I thought it may but be on to the shooting tomorrow then see how it groups

Well had a few shots with it and grouping is terrible first group was 10 shots and they spread over about 2 1/2 inch chrono said 16fps difference highest out the 10 shots was 564 FPS lowest was 548 put another 50 shots through and did another 10 shots group was about 2 inch and chrono says 13 FPS difference high being 570 FPS low being 557

Currently have it stripped for investigation

Is it a 97k? Has something worked loose in the silencer causing clipping? Very intriguing.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Yes it’s a 97k can’t hear anything rattling around cant really see properly till get some daylight shall update tomorrow

You shouldn't see much difference in point of impact for 13fps if anything at all unless shooting 50 yards plus. Did it group ok before you sold it ? Try giving the barrel a good clean and see how it shoots then. I've come across this once before, and funny enough that was with a HW97 MK1, is this a MK1 ? No matter what I did it wouldn't group, so broke it for spares, put it down to a bad barrel. Let us know how you get on.

John
    Law of any kind only affects those willing to abide by it.

Shooting at 25 meters yes it’s a mk1 it was shooting good before but not used it for a year or so before sale had a look down the barrel can’t see owt wrong lad who I sold it to cleaned the barrel might try releasing it

What pellets have been tried? Though any pellet in my HW's manages a decent group. I tried to buy this 97 as it seemed a good buy, hope you get it sorted.

With my VGlided 97K I find that after a while groups begin to spread a bit, and a barrel clean seems to sort it out. None of my other guns do this, and other barrels get cleaned very infrequently

Quote Originally Posted by astraman1 View Post
    Well had a few shots with it and grouping is terrible first group was 10 shots and they spread over about 2 1/2 inch chrono said 16fps difference highest out the 10 shots was 564 FPS lowest was 548 put another 50 shots through and did another 10 shots group was about 2 inch and chrono says 13 FPS difference high being 570 FPS low being 557

Currently have it stripped for investigation
    I take it your using 16 grain?

I have just built a 97 out of spare parts I had in the bits n bobs boxes, I saw very similar groups to you with Falcon accuracy, now these usually work extremely well In a HW barrel, I then tried Premiers and FTT and the FTT were doing 20mm five shot groups at 50yds!

you can physically feel the FTT heads bite into the rifling as you load whereas the Falcons fell in, so I can only surmise the barrel is a first off production run when the mandrel was new.

The bracket is always slightly loose by the way, If you have any concerns about it run a liner of tank tape on either side of the stock inletting and trim it to the slots with a scalpel, this helps the stock screws pull the rifle down into the inletting and eliminate vibration.

Quote Originally Posted by peddy View Post
    What pellets have been tried? Though any pellet in my HW's manages a decent group. I tried to buy this 97 as it seemed a good buy, hope you get it sorted.
    I’ve used rws super domes in it and they have done well over the years

Been stripped down all look over cannot see anything obvious nothing moving that shouldn’t

Nothing in the way of the pellet chucked another 100 or so pellets through h and n super point I think they were some pellets I found in my draw from my youth but they fit the barrel really tight so thought it may lead it up

Will see how it’s grouping tomorrow on my firing range not much more I can think of really as there isn’t to much that can cause bad grouping like that with the power being so accurate

How was the barrel cleaned? Could the crown be damaged?

I was down the club today and I guy I trust mentioned a 97k he was asked to look at with the same symptoms, turned out the glue which held on the silencer/catch had broken down. Could it be that?
    Rich.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)