Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hw97 guru’s

Shame you can't push a pellet through to see if any damage. Why don't you fire into a deep bucket of water, the pellet shouldn't damage with the impact and may show rifling problem. If this is a stupid idea please ignore!!

If it were mine I would first strip out the cylinder and back block.
    Hold cylinder up to the light and see if it is a clear straight path out the silencer.
    Check silencer for clipping.
    Push a pellet up breech and gently push through bore to see if any tightspots , see if it falls right out the crown end, indicating if there is a problem with barrel choke.
    Next I would change pellets and go for a new tin in a different batch.. sometimes I have had a tin of jsbs enacts that some fit lovely and others in the same tin nearly fall out the breech.. make sure you technique is the same for every shot fired..

How's the trigger? Is the second stage nice and light? Or hard? Could you be pulling the shot?..

If all is fine I would change the scope for one you trust and fit and see. You are trying to eliminate problems.,

I had a hw97 that shot spot on a number of years ago and it turned out to be the mtc scope was not holding zero.. put another on and it was back on target..

Another idea from me I am afraid. Mine lost accuracy once, turned out the front stock screws were loose. Tightening them returned everything to normal.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

If you belong to a gun club take it along.. Don't say to anyone you think you have a problem with it.. just let others shoot it and see how they get on.. it might surprise you

Quick update I will update better after work and answer questions stripped it couldn’t see anything down the barrel ect put it all back together and it grouped to about 15mm over 25 meters did it again and similar result

Almost put it away but just checked one more 5 shotgroup and it was all over the place again so put it away in frustration
    Last edited by astraman1; 26-06-2018 at 03:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by astraman1 View Post
    Quick update I will update better after work and answer questions stripped it couldn’t see anything down the barrel ect put it all back together and it grouped to about 15mm over 25 meters did it again and similar result

Almost put it away but just checked one more 5 shotgroup and it was all over the place again so put it away in frustration
    Sounds just like mine when the stock screws loosened. If you had just put it together they would have been nipped up nicely but could of worked loose. How is the shot cycle? Snappy?
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    Another idea from me I am afraid. Mine lost accuracy once, turned out the front stock screws were loose. Tightening them returned everything to normal.
    The rear (small) trigger guard screw tightened to much is a guarantee for a lot of PITA.

Why is that?

A sub 12fpe 97 won't loosen screws that easy. I shot over 100 pellets through my 77 today and checked my screws after and there was no movement and I don't use loctite.

Worth checking screws... but has the scope been checked? I assume it's parallaxed to start with.

I am intrigued by this … and I bet others are too …

Have you looked in the silencer ? and on the inner rim of the exit.

as Std it has a spring in it ….well mine did anyway.

I took this out and put in a curler and some felt ….and "to me "
    I made a slight improvement … and others thought so too.

If the guy you sold to has been inside here and maybe tried to make some improvement himself.
    Something may be clipping ?

the crown was my other thoughts as already mentioned.
    easily damaged if carelessly rodded to remove a jammed pellet

hopefully you will get this sorted fella …. and let us all know

Quote Originally Posted by pelletcaster View Post
    The rear (small) trigger guard screw tightened to much is a guarantee for a lot of PITA.
    Screws are fine made sure they were the tight

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    Worth checking screws... but has the scope been checked? I assume it's parallaxed to start with.
    dont have another rifle to check scope but chap who bought it put his scope on

Quote Originally Posted by DEGS View Post
    I am intrigued by this … and I bet others are too …

Have you looked in the silencer ? and on the inner rim of the exit.

as Std it has a spring in it ….well mine did anyway.

I took this out and put in a curler and some felt ….and "to me "
    I made a slight improvement … and others thought so too.

If the guy you sold to has been inside here and maybe tried to make some improvement himself.
    Something may be clipping ?

the crown was my other thoughts as already mentioned.
    easily damaged if carelessly rodded to remove a jammed pellet

hopefully you will get this sorted fella …. and let us all know
    Checked through the barrel and could not see the spring sticking out

The chap put a pull through so no rod has been near it

dont take this the wrong way . was it working ok when you sold it to him ? if so, your only mistake was taking it back . he could of done anything to it , wrecked it ,then claimed it was like that when he got it. some one has tried that with me before and they got told to do one as every time i sell i rifle, before it goes on sale it gets sent to the shop for a full service and check over then down my range for a couple hundred shots. he claimed the rifling was chewed up . my thoughts, he had tried pushing something into the barrel and wrecked it . should always do sold as seen

i see where you are coming from but I must say the chap I sold it to was a genuine nice bloke from our conversations he seemed very knowledgeable has plenty of posts ect nothing to suggest he would act that way

and my reputation is worth more to me than to start throwing accusations like that around

I had not shot the rifle for a while and it could have easily been done in the postal system but seeing as I had not shot it before I sent it out there is no way I can say when it happened

if I cant figure it out I may just sell it as spares or repairs or poss send it for repair

Quote Originally Posted by astraman1 View Post

Doesn't sound like there's anything wrong with the gun if it grouped for a number shots and it's consistent. Sounds like user/pellet issue.