Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stock stripper

Stock stripper

Looking at stripping the old finish off a stock

Whats the best remover you's guys use, was going to get nitrimors but thought Id ask first

Chris
    bigtoe, Harry, hydroclamp, jpsnorton, gayle89, mark410, Stu83, smallholder1, wellhouse0, readingcop, sir-slots-alot, danco1987, Stevenb, DarylDiane, simpleSimon, Ratinator, Milek, Josh, Maxtich, Woodsie99, Ozzie, master_shriller, niloc, Drake267, deejayuu, shootingstars

Quote Originally Posted by 32:1 View Post
    Looking at stripping the old finish off a stock

Whats the best remover you's guys use, was going to get nitrimors but thought Id ask first

Chris
    I use Barretine Paint stripper in a bottle, brilliant stuff but I've had it years and dont know if its still available. dont get it on your hands, it burns like ****!

I haven't done many but, after a tip from a mate, covering a stock in Nitromorse and wrapping it in cling film for half an hour worked ok.

All of the above.

I don’t use a chemical stripper. I have found I get better results physically scraping it off.
    I then use several coats of bleach to remove the old colour (on beech)

aria

Stripped a stock with No Nonsense stripper from Screwfix around £5 for 1/2 a litre.Worked for me,no smells no gloves.

Another vote for Screwfix No Nonsense stripper, I did my 9015 stock with it.

Follow the instructions and it works brilliantly.

Chris,

Since paint strippers have had their dichoromethane (DCM) removed, most of them are sh!te

I have fond memories of the PolyStripper of the 1970s, that would strip virtually anything - would sting your skin like hell, and would penetrate most gloves

A friend got some DCM based stripper from Bay Of Flea, and that worked really well.

Have a search.

Have fun & a good weekend

Best regards

Russ

Paramorse Chris, that's what I use for my stock work. It's used by professional furniture restorers, so if it's good enough for them.

Thanks guys

Cheers fella's
    I did try to find nitromors but not for sale anywhere, tried one but that was useless.

Where did you get that from Andy ?

I have a french polisher nearby but he's on holiday for a month !

I will look for dcm to Russ

Chris
    bigtoe, Harry, hydroclamp, jpsnorton, gayle89, mark410, Stu83, smallholder1, wellhouse0, readingcop, sir-slots-alot, danco1987, Stevenb, DarylDiane, simpleSimon, Ratinator, Milek, Josh, Maxtich, Woodsie99, Ozzie, master_shriller, niloc, Drake267, deejayuu, shootingstars

Cheers fella's
    I did try to find nitromors but not for sale anywhere, tried one but that was useless.

Chris
    If you use the new stuff (cheap)apply a liberal amount and as stated above wrap it in a plastic sack and leave for a few hours works fine for me.

Chris,

I think this is the product my friend uses :

On Bay Of Flea co uk, search for :

Power Strip Best Industrial Strength Heavy Duty Paint Stripper Remover 1Litre

Have fun & a good Sunday

Best regards

Russ

Cheers fella's

Chris
    New formula Nitromors green can is available widely from places like Screwfix but at £52 for 4 litres its a big purchase. I got 375ml can for £10 from an old fashioned hardware shop.

I am trying to get the white gloop lacquer (probably acrylic), from my S400 MPR Sporter stock chequering and nooks and crannies, but I' have sanded off from the plain surfaces. I will do the polythene wrap too.

Ive had a few go through the french polisher, god knows what he uses but theres nothing left and the wood looks bleached white/grey until Its sanded wet, as soon as water or oil goes on the grain pops out. I should wait for him but fancy a bash !

I'll put money on it he's using Paramorse.

If you want some you're welcome to a pot, just requires a visit to Rayleigh.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmax View Post
    I'll put money on it he's using Paramorse.

If you want some you're welcome to a pot, just requires a visit to Rayleigh.

Andy
    Interesting. Theoretically you can't buy Paramose without a trade ticket of some kind as that one still contains the DCM. Its half the price of modern Nitromors too!
    Yet eb8y have pure DCM by the litre no questions asked. Barmy legislation.
    Last edited by TenMetrePeter; 24-06-2018 at 10:22 AM.