Thread: Theoben SLR 98

Theoben SLR 98

Did anyone see there was an SLR 98 .177 advertised for sale in Kent on G/Star ? I was wondering if it was the one previously mentioned on here a few days ago, as these are not all that common. A chap who was a former member on here contacted me and said he phoned the seller early in the morning and drove down to buy it. Apparently it is a beauty, with papers scope and bag for £500 which sounds a fair price ? He said he is very impressed with its quality of finish and performance, almost as good as his Whiscombe.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    Did anyone see there was an SLR 98 .177 advertised for sale in Kent on G/Star ? I was wondering if it was the one previously mentioned on here a few days ago, as these are not all that common. A chap who was a former member on here contacted me and said he phoned the seller early in the morning and drove down to buy it. Apparently it is a beauty, with papers scope and bag for £500 which sounds a fair price ? He said he is very impressed with its quality of finish and performance, almost as good as his Whiscombe.

Baz
    Interesting post, I did not see the advert but I did have 3 SLR88 .177 FT Imperators (considered to be the best gas ram Theobens ever made) and none of them came close to the quality of finish and performance of a Whiscombe, especially as far as the trigger is concerned. The stocks and bluing on the Theobens were nice, but the stocks for Whiscombes and Theobens came from the same place i.e. Custom Stocks of Sheffield, so no surprise there...

I misunderstood him, he said he put next to his Whiscombes and Giffards in the gun rack.

Baz

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    I misunderstood him, he said he put next to his Whiscombes and Giffards in the gun rack.

Baz
    Ok, that makes more sense now ;-)

I like the SLR, but in my opinion the 88 is far superior to 98 in terms of finish and design, although they are very similar, but not as good as the Whiscombe, which is probably one of the best finished airguns in terms of quality (except for Lionel's one, just preempting it before Lionel or Rapidnick comment )

Come on did he buy it then.
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by bozz View Post
    Come on did he buy it then.
    Graham
    Of course