Thread: What are the largest diameter .177 pellets

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What are the largest diameter .177 pellets

Hi
    I have an SMK PR900W rifle in .177 that I have detuned to 7ft.lbs. I'm not happy with its 25 yard accuracy. The barrel is not choked and pellets that are seated and then pushed back out with a cleaning rod show only light rifling engraving. That is with JSB Exact and Bisley Magnum pellets. I was wondering if there are pellets at the upper end of the .177 diameter that would
    shoot better. Does anyone know if there are oversize pellets available?

Thanks

You could try 5.52s

All of the above.

You say you've tried JSB Exact, have you tried the 4.53mm variety?

Can't see the point of 7 fpe, what do you use it for? be over the 6 allowed for a lot of indoor disciplines and not really high enough for outdoor shooting at longer ranges. Higher power would force the pellet skirt more into the rifling depending on the hardness, thickness of the skirt.

Try H&N FTT. They are usually a tighter fit than Exacts.

edit: forget Bisley Magnums at 7 fpe.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

My best barrels are non-choked and I get the same, hardly any resistance on pushing through but the pellet will expand when fired !

Id try a few samples and see if one comes good

Chris
    bigtoe, Harry, hydroclamp, jpsnorton, gayle89, mark410, Stu83, smallholder1, wellhouse0, readingcop, sir-slots-alot, danco1987, Stevenb, DarylDiane, simpleSimon, Ratinator, Milek, Josh, Maxtich, Woodsie99, Ozzie, master_shriller, niloc, Drake267, deejayuu, shootingstars

Quote Originally Posted by bezzer View Post
    Can't see the point of 7 fpe, what do you use it for? be over the 6 allowed for a lot of indoor disciplines and not really high enough for outdoor shooting at longer ranges. .
    What indoor disciplines have a power limit?

Possibly try something with a softer skirt, perhaps some AA Diablo? With the lower energy available, you want a head that will fit on the lands of the rifling, but not be too indented, otherwise you will waste to much of that precious energy. A soft skirt that fits into the rifling should provide a seal with the minimum of friction I would have thought?

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    I don't believe they do. But many indoor, especially club, 10M ranges are set up for .177" rifles at under 6 ft-lbs or .177" pistols at 2-3. They very often have formal or informal restrictions on either power or calibre, or both, because they don't want some bloke turning up with a .25" Rapid Seven and blatting their backstops and target holders to bits.

For example, the last time I was on a club 10M match pistol range, the range rules specified .177" wadcutters only. I think if I'd turned up with a 5.9 ft/lbs pistol, even shooting .177" wadcutters, the club officials would probably have made it clear that I was not obeying the spirit of the rules and would I please go away and take that big noisy denty thing with me and come back with a proper match pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    We impose one due to damage to the Bisley target holders. Even at 6 ft lb the 3mm replacement steel plates bow outwards half an inch after a year or so, but open sights Airsporter type guns shot standing often hit the holder frames and do real damage at 10m. Our target stands are 15mm fibre board on 6mm mdf and shoot through at 12 ft lbs.
    At 6 yards even 6 ft lb rifles hitting sprung plates splash lead back and I've felt hot lead on my face several times.
    12 ft lb on a bell target would be asking for trouble.
    ISSF dont have a limit at present.