Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What are the largest diameter .177 pellets

What are the largest diameter .177 pellets

Hi
    I have an SMK PR900W rifle in .177 that I have detuned to 7ft.lbs. I'm not happy with its 25 yard accuracy. The barrel is not choked and pellets that are seated and then pushed back out with a cleaning rod show only light rifling engraving. That is with JSB Exact and Bisley Magnum pellets. I was wondering if there are pellets at the upper end of the .177 diameter that would
    shoot better. Does anyone know if there are oversize pellets available?

Thanks

You could try 5.52s

All of the above.

You say you've tried JSB Exact, have you tried the 4.53mm variety?

Can't see the point of 7 fpe, what do you use it for? be over the 6 allowed for a lot of indoor disciplines and not really high enough for outdoor shooting at longer ranges. Higher power would force the pellet skirt more into the rifling depending on the hardness, thickness of the skirt.

Try H&N FTT. They are usually a tighter fit than Exacts.

edit: forget Bisley Magnums at 7 fpe.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

My best barrels are non-choked and I get the same, hardly any resistance on pushing through but the pellet will expand when fired !

Id try a few samples and see if one comes good

Chris
    bigtoe, Harry, hydroclamp, jpsnorton, gayle89, mark410, Stu83, smallholder1, wellhouse0, readingcop, sir-slots-alot, danco1987, Stevenb, DarylDiane, simpleSimon, Ratinator, Milek, Josh, Maxtich, Woodsie99, Ozzie, master_shriller, niloc, Drake267, deejayuu, shootingstars

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    RWS superdomes are large
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Never forget that the head sizes are NEVER EVER as stated on the tin, regardless of the brand of pellet!
    I also find that many barrels appear to be bored, hammered? on the big size as well.

This subject has been covered many times before, I think.

Thanks for the replies - I'll try some Superdomes.
    Last edited by Otley; 22-06-2018 at 08:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 32:1 View Post
    My best barrels are non-choked and I get the same, hardly any resistance on pushing through but the pellet will expand when fired !

Id try a few samples and see if one comes good

Chris
    ^ exactly what Chris says... the pellet skirt will expand once it has some air behind it

Quote Originally Posted by nurek View Post
    ^ exactly what Chris says... the pellet skirt will expand once it has some air behind it
    Is there any available evidence to support this theory please ?

Quote Originally Posted by hmangphilly View Post
    Is there any available evidence to support this theory please ?
    I don't have any theoretical evidence, but I think it's self explanatory, higher pressure behind pellet + friction resistance, the soft metal skirt will expand as it's moving (if it has place to expand)?

Do you think otherwise?

I have done a test where I have squashed a pellet skirt and measured the velocity, as expected it was lower, however the skirt 'opened' up. Probably more pronounced in a springer due to higher pressure... I only shoot spring guns.

As you work with barrels, you could do an experiment, where you push a pellet through a barrel (hence 0 pressure on skirt) and see how the skirt is deformed, and fire one, if the markings on the one that has been fired are deeper, the skirt has expanded.

Quote Originally Posted by bezzer View Post
    Can't see the point of 7 fpe, what do you use it for? be over the 6 allowed for a lot of indoor disciplines and not really high enough for outdoor shooting at longer ranges. .
    What indoor disciplines have a power limit?

Possibly try something with a softer skirt, perhaps some AA Diablo? With the lower energy available, you want a head that will fit on the lands of the rifling, but not be too indented, otherwise you will waste to much of that precious energy. A soft skirt that fits into the rifling should provide a seal with the minimum of friction I would have thought?

If your just shooting card at short range with modest power, a light weight wadcutter might be worth a try - RWS Hobbies for example.