Thread: 10m vs 6m rifle diopter sight dilemma

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

10m vs 6m rifle diopter sight dilemma

I recently have dipped my toe into 10m rifle and luckily purchased a very nice Original 75 with the correct diopter sights.
    However, my indoor home range is 6m whereas I shoot 10m at the club and there is a significant sight elevation correction to make for the different ranges, which I would prefer not to have to make on a frequent basis.
    I haven't checked the velocity but it still punches nice clean holes at 10m so guess it's fine. Interestingly I don't make any change to sights for my pistol and chaps at the club don't when swapping from 10m to 20m even.
    Other than buying another diopter sight to enable one to be set for each range, are there any other easy fixes people have come up with?
    If not, does anyone have a cheap sight going which is similar to my Diana?
    Regards
    Andy
    Steyr Evo 10, Anschutz 8001, BSA Scorpion SE, BSA light Pattern, HW77k, HW30s, AA TX200, HW45 Blackstar, HW40, Walther CP88, Webley Premier E, TBC!

JMHO : I think that the problem that you are experiencing is to be expected and related to the difference in height between Bore Sight and visual Sight Line. On a Pistol this difference is typically much less than that for a rifle and the Muzzle Elevation difference accounts for the effects noted when shooting at Targets with varying ranges with each class of "Weapon".

One way to avoid making adjustments to the Rear Sight is to have two different height Foresights or maybe even using a Sight Raising Block under the Foresight at the longer ranges. By "scaling" you can calculate the amount of Fore Sight lift needed by measuring both the difference in impact points for the 6 and 10mtre shot targets (with no Rear Sight adjustment between shots) and the distance between Front and Rearsight. If you needed a Sight Raising Block that was a non standard height they can be made by someone on that well known Auction Site for a reasonable price. However, I seem to remember that Original offered two different Fore Sight heights and Sight Raising Blocks, made with the intention of switching as appropriate for each range with minimal Rear Sight adjustment required.

HTH,

Vic Thompson
    Last edited by Vic Thompson; 22-06-2018 at 05:00 PM.

Buy a second rifle
    For practice, you can easily use the 10m settings. As focus for 10m shooting is on consistancy. Placement of the shots can be easily adjusted with the sights.
    So it doesnt really matter where the groups end up.
    I use this type of practice shooting for almost all my matchgun shooting. I focus on groups/consistancy, not on where they end up.
    This way, I never have to alter my sights.
    Another way is, aiming off. Find out how far yr off and make a second bull/aimingpoint o yr target
    ATB,
    yana

another way is to shoot through two targets at once with an offset between them that corresponds to the difference in impact points at 6 and 10 mtre ranges. The front "target" could be just a photocopied "aiming mark" with a guideline on it corresponding to the required offset. By doing this the rearmost target would be the "scoring one" but the holes might be a bit fuzzier than shooting through one card only (just realised already suggested by previous poster).

Vic Thompson.

Andy,

It depends whether you are competing at 6 yards, or practising.

If you are practising, then do not shoot for score at 6 yards - just concentrate on small round groups and clean shooting cycle.

Have fun & a good weekend

Best regards

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by PhatMan View Post
    Andy,

It depends whether you are competing at 6 yards, or practising.

If you are practising, then do not shoot for score at 6 yards - just concentrate on small round groups and clean shooting cycle.

Have fun & a good weekend

Best regards

Russ
    Good advice, but when I used to shoot my '75 in NARPA 6 yard competitions and NSRA 10 meter competitions I bought a spare rear sight and had one set for 6 yard use and one set for 10 meter use - it saved me hours of messing about and setting up every time I changed disciplines!

I sold my spare '75 dioptre on here some time back to someone who had the same needs!
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.