Thread: Latest tampering. Opinion please.

Latest tampering. Opinion please.

This arrived for inspection
    Internals
    Cocking slot

Broken shoe removed leaving little or no damage.
    The "dimples" in the piston cocking slot look factory fresh and seen them before. They irritate me and tempted to flatten them but do they have a purpose? Very uniform and too widely spaced to be bearing points for the shoe methinks.
    Piston sleeve is very well made and sprung into the body. Think it will redress and refit.

Oh and it's a .. ?

Old School 85 ?

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Old School 85 ?
    Spot on!

The dimples could be link up holes drilled for the mill bit to cut the slot, I tend to do this when making pistons drill five holes then mill from hole to hole rather than trying to run one long cut.

if the dimples are on one side only then the guy didn't jig it properly before milling.

Easy to rectify however, that slot should be smooth and straight.

Quote Originally Posted by deejayuu View Post
    The "dimples" in the piston cocking slot look factory fresh and seen them before. They irritate me and tempted to flatten them but do they have a purpose? Very uniform and too widely spaced to be bearing points for the shoe methinks.
    Piston sleeve is very well made and sprung into the body. Think it will redress and refit.
    Hi Jules.

I've just grabbed an 85 piston out the pile and that also has the dimples in it, I'll be filing them off before fitting.

Interestingly the 85/95 piston is the same as a 26mm 77/97 piston with the exception of the cocking slot width, I often wonder if this is done to cut down production costs ? :-

image.jpg

Great support as usual. Thanks all.