Thread: Persistant HW 100 leak

Persistant HW 100 leak

I love my 100 and have had little trouble since I bought it except that I had to adjust the regulator in the beginning. After it had been sitting for 6 months it began leaking from the tiny bleed hole in the valve block. I stripped it and fitted a new set of seals but it kept leaking. I tried two new polyurethane O rings on the fill valve that I purchased off the evil bay but still leaked. Taking a closer inspection I found that the internal diameter of these seals seemed too large. Hunted through my seal collection and found a very hard seal with a smaller I.D. to fit over the fill valve where the cylinder screws on. Hey presto its been standing for a week with no air loss. Thought this might interest 100 owners as you cannot always trust new seals to be a correct fit.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Good info, thanks for sharing 👍

I once went in to one never again unless you know what you are doing leave well alone

I found POK guide on the hw owners forum really useful and sourcing your own seals according to those dimensions cheaper and more effective. Only had to do it once and no problems since. Glad to hear you cracked it
    Danny
    My collection = Ratworks BSA Scorpion T-10 .177, HW100KS .177 (tweaked by me), PP750, Crosman 1322 and 1377

I use the HW100 Tuning seal packs, all are the correct sizes, excellent quality, individually marked up and very reasonably priced.

Not had one leak yet and I've serviced a fair few HW100's now, I'm in my fourth this week!

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmax View Post
    I use the HW100 Tuning seal packs, all are the correct sizes, excellent quality, individually marked up and very reasonably priced.

Not had one leak yet and I've serviced a fair few HW100's now, I'm in my fourth this week!
    I agree the Hw100 tuning o-rings and other products are very good.
    HW100KT,FX Verminator,X2 Merlyn
    BSA Superstar,FX Dream Tac Compact,Browning Maxus,Browning O/U,Miroku SbS, Hw97k,HW98,BSA R10, Zbroia Kozac FC.

A relative bought a seal kit for an S200 that were supposed to be the right size etc. I think that they were off the Evil Bay. Turned out that one of the seals was completely wrong. I think part of the problems is that some sellers may not be aware of the various different changes to airguns through their production life, such as the different fill valves on s200s of different ages/marks.
    The moral of the story, I'm sure, is to buy seals and o-rings from reputable suppliers, even if they aren't the cheapest.

Quote Originally Posted by Shedder View Post
    A relative bought a seal kit for an S200 that were supposed to be the right size etc. I think that they were off the Evil Bay. Turned out that one of the seals was completely wrong. I think part of the problems is that some sellers may not be aware of the various different changes to airguns through their production life, such as the different fill valves on s200s of different ages/marks.
    The moral of the story, I'm sure, is to buy seals and o-rings from reputable suppliers, even if they aren't the cheapest.
    I've had poor kits off Knibbs for a couple of guns I've been fixing but for £5 you can't beat the HW100 Tuning minor service kit, I've never had a problem with any of their products. The O ring kits cover every eventuality and every variant, I fit them in all the guns I service and that's a fair few now.

There can be a tolerance issue on the inlet valve, you sometimes have to try a BS005 alternative to get it to seal reliably, I recently had one in that would not seal no matter what ring was used, in the end I changed the inlet valve and that cured the problem.

I suppose if your air cylinder inlet bore is close to max tolerance and your inlet valve spigot close to bottom you could get a stubborn leak, after all they are made to production tolerances not absolute precision.

HW100 Tuning is a good supplier however, all the rings I have bought off him have been correct to model and size.

Quote Originally Posted by Artfull-Bodger View Post
    There can be a tolerance issue on the inlet valve, you sometimes have to try a BS005 alternative to get it to seal reliably, I recently had one in that would not seal no matter what ring was used, in the end I changed the inlet valve and that cured the problem.

I suppose if your air cylinder inlet bore is close to max tolerance and your inlet valve spigot close to bottom you could get a stubborn leak, after all they are made to production tolerances not absolute precision.

HW100 Tuning is a good supplier however, all the rings I have bought off him have been correct to model and size.
    I service 5 or 6 rifles a week and never had this problem before with the 100 which I find is one of the simplest rifles to work on. What you say makes sense. Fortunately I have a huge collection of O rings in various materials. The polyurethane one that worked was a tight fit on the valve and of a very high Shore hardness, almost like nylon, and sealed well.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    I service 5 or 6 rifles a week and never had this problem before with the 100 which I find is one of the simplest rifles to work on. What you say makes sense. Fortunately I have a huge collection of O rings in various materials. The polyurethane one that worked was a tight fit on the valve and of a very high Shore hardness, almost like nylon, and sealed well.

Baz
    Yes it is rare that you just cant get one to seal, I have only seen two and only one had to change the valve, and like you I service these regularly.

What's bizarre is the o-ring works by deflecting under pressure and basically jamming itself into the gap causing a seal, so a softer one should work better as it's not a gasket, but sometimes the poly ones do work where rubber fails, I can only conclude it's a tolerance thing?