Thread: Ballistol suitable to lube a trigger?

Ballistol suitable to lube a trigger?

I've just degreased a Rekord trigger unit and was about to drown it in Ballistol when I thought I'd better ask and see if this stuff is actually suitable for the job. The only other stuff I've got around the house is 3-in-1. Are either of these any good?

Quote Originally Posted by whipsaw View Post
    I've just degreased a Rekord trigger unit and was about to drown it in Ballistol when I thought I'd better ask and see if this stuff is actually suitable for the job. The only other stuff I've got around the house is 3-in-1. Are either of these any good?
    I'd suggest a very light machine oil. Sewing machine oil, fishing reel oil, airline tool oil. Very light application too.
    B.A.S.C. member

Thank you sir!

Personally - I dont lube triggers. It may cause inconsistency.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

3 in 1 oil doesn't stay where you put it. It evaporates and the condenses out on everything else and inside everyone else.

Ballistol is paraffin oil with added stinky stuff. I don't think it lubricates anything, I doubt it stays put either.

Braincase oil from a sperm whale is marvellous stuff but hard to get these days.

How about sewing machine oil?

Thanks I think I'll order some Sewing Machine Oil and give it a try

whipsaw,

I use dry teflon spray these days - douse the trigger with with, and shake off excess, and leave to dry.

The trigger tends to pick up less 'muck' when dry-lubed.

When dry, I use a thin wipe of 60% moly grease to high pressure points.

If any of the the pins need lubing, Quantum Hot Sauce oil works superbly - it has very low surface tension, and will be 'sucked' into the pins seats.

Have fun & a good weekend

Best regards

Russ

Thanks for the info Russ

A Good Weekend to you too

Russ, I've just bought some Dri-Moly and I'm about to coat a spring and Piston. The Instructions are somewhat lacking - I worried about the nozzle blocking between uses. Does the can need inverting and the nozzle clearing after every use? It would be a shame to waste such an expensive product...

whipsaw,

You can invert the can and spray until nozzle is clear - this does waste propellant however

What I do, is roll up some kitchen roll into as small a point as you can, then use it to clean the nozzle.

With the Ambersil products (dry moly & dry teflon sprays)I use, I have never had the nozzle clog after cleaning in this way.

Have fun & a good Sunday

Best regards

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by whipsaw View Post
    Plenty of folk particularly in USA swear by ballistol as a general gun lube. As a light "liquid paraffin" oil it will be very stable but its main use with the additives is as a rust inhibiting oil for wiping down outdoor hunting weapons as it is supposed to be harmless to the skin. My grandad used liquid paraffin on his hair and as a laxative!! Actors used it to take off makeup. Not the same as lamp paraffin.
    Clockmakers oiler pen is another alternative for delicate trigger parts.
    Last edited by TenMetrePeter; 24-06-2018 at 08:15 AM.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    I wouldn't have thought watchmakers oil would have the film strength to do much lubrication in a full power sprng rifles trigger...

I would also agree about Ballistol being not primarily a lubricant.

Personally, and I know others will disagree, I prefer the lightest (barely a hint) smear of grease ( & not moly) applied with a pin or similar.
    The same applies to pin/holes of pivots.

Quote Originally Posted by PhatMan View Post
    whipsaw,

You can invert the can and spray until nozzle is clear - this does waste propellant however

What I do, is roll up some kitchen roll into as small a point as you can, then use it to clean the nozzle.

With the Ambersil products (dry moly & dry teflon sprays)I use, I have never had the nozzle clog after cleaning in this way.

Have fun & a good Sunday

Best regards

Russ
    Thanks Russ, I degreased the piston and spring and proceeded to give them several light coats of Ambersil DM, I let it dry for 4 hours and reassembled the gun (HW99). What I did notice was that the coating didn't appear to be very resilient, I could scratch it off with a finger nail. The surfaces were highly polished so this may explain it. Should DM provide a tough, barrier-like coating or have I misunderstood it's properties and function?

Molybdenum disulphide bonds to steel in a very thin invisible layer and can be rubbed off or rather rubbed in with a cloth. It will still be there.
    Makes it brilliant for hammer rails too.