Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crosman 1377 advice

Crosman 1377 advice

Hopefully one of you learnerd folk will be able to help me out with this.
    I am thinking of getting a Crosman 1377, and wondered whether to get a new one for £95, or a phase 1 model for £80 from Freeads: -

https://www.freeads.co.uk/uk/buy-sel...ir-pistol/view

I don't know enough about them to know if the brass barrel band is a good thing, or does it raise suspicions of hidden problems. Also the missing front grip screws caught my eye.

The thought of renovating something has it's appeal, having done a couple of projects, but does this have 'money pit' written all over it?

Cheers,

Mark.
    Too many guns, or not enough time?

Looks cool to me. That new front end looks great. This included a refresh of the main pivot, so, you should be good there. All the internals are replaceable, so, this gun should go far, it might need a reseal but that's no big deal.

What looks like fun is that this gun has a replacement barrel. How well it shoots probably depends on how good that barrel is. However, it also opens up the gun for yet another barrel replacement with perhaps something of match quality. Lots of possibilities, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Modski66 View Post
    Hopefully one of you learnerd folk will be able to help me out with this.
    I am thinking of getting a Crosman 1377, and wondered whether to get a new one for £95, or a phase 1 model for £80 from Freeads: -

https://www.freeads.co.uk/uk/buy-sel...ir-pistol/view

I don't know enough about them to know if the brass barrel band is a good thing, or does it raise suspicions of hidden problems. Also the missing front grip screws caught my eye.

The thought of renovating something has it's appeal, having done a couple of projects, but does this have 'money pit' written all over it?

Cheers,

Mark.

It's hard to advise you without knowing the MK1's serial number, Mark --- the serial number gives the date of manufacture.

Early MK1s had a metal rear sight, metal piston, and metal breach, eventually all these components were replaced with plastic.
    From memory, the piston changed to plastic in November 1978 and the breach changed to plastic in February 1979, so a late MK1 is no better made than a new one.

The front grip is held with roll pins not screws.

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    It's hard to advise you without knowing the MK1's serial number, Mark --- the serial number gives the date of manufacture.

Early MK1s had a metal rear sight, metal piston, and metal breach, eventually all these components were replaced with plastic.
    From memory, the piston changed to plastic in November 1978 and the breach changed to plastic in February 1979, so a late MK1 is no better made than a new one.

The front grip is held with roll pins not screws.

All the best Mick

Thanks Mick, serial number is 478003115, hope you know how to decipher it!

Thanks Mick, serial number is 478003115, hope you know how to decipher it!
    Made in April 1978 --- it really needs buying and restoring.

Okay, I am getting more interested...
    Would the 1399 stock fit or is there a more suitable option for the vintage. Also, does the price look OK, or should I try a cheeky offer?

Okay, I am getting more interested...
    Would the 1399 stock fit or is there a more suitable option for the vintage. Also, does the price look OK, or should I try a cheeky offer?
    Yes, the 1399 stock will fit, the one I bought new in January 1979 came with a 1399, the only alternative to the 1399 is the very rare wooden stock.

I'd try a cheeky bid of £60 --- it would be rude not to.

All the best Mick

What does the wooden stock look like?
    There are lots of after market versions available, but I have scoured the Web for an image, but to no avail...

If it isn't too complex, and assuming I am successful in the purchase, I might have a go at whittling one.

Cheers,

Mark.

Deal done for £60!

Well the phase one 1377 is now mine, it has seen a bit of action, but does work, sort of...
    It has apparently had new seals due to the valve leaking, it now holds air, but for some reason, it isn't very good at lobbing the lead very quickly, even after ten pumps.
    Suggestions on where to look first would be welcome!
    The other things of note are that the barrel is the original one, and the grip once had the crinkle finish paint, but now it is stripped back to base metal, apart from the last bit inside the trigger guard.
    And to think, I could have had a brand new one for £95, but where would the fun be in that!

check to see if it has a blowby valve or stem fitted also check that the non return valve is sealing properly
    other things are worn cup seal or the seals were badly fitted and air is leaking past the valve
    could also be leaking at tp or probe seal

All the internals and seals seem okay, apart from a lot of oil slathered everywhere and the graunciest trigger I have ever used...
    But the thing I don't know is if the piston seal that looks okay to me, is actually letting by on compression. Is there anything I should be looking for on the edge of the cup?

if the pump cup has gone hard it doesn't seal fully
    I fit a known good piston and seal to eliminate it when testing if in doubt but generally can tell if it's working
    I put pressure in a valve then remove it and drop it in water to test for leaks when I do a tuned valve for people or convert to a flat top that way I 100% know it is right

Thanks for the bubble tip, the cup seems soft, but I will try the leak test.
    On another matter, I saw on the airgun forum last year, there was a discussion about the original stock for the 1377/1322. I can't access any of the pictures for some reason. I would like to get a stock for my 1377, but the new all-black model just doesn't seem to be the right thing.
    Do you know where I can find a picture of the original wooden stock? I have ambitions to try and carve a copy if it isn't too complex in shape.
    Cheers,
    Mark.

i'll see if I still have the pics on my old phone as I think the pics were some I put up
    I'm not aware of any factory wooden stock apart from the 2250xe outdoorsman and it doesn't fit the phase 1 frame correctly

Hmmmm. Not my cup of tea (fugly) I have seen pictures of that stock and thought it was an aftermarket one, not oem!
    One last thing I would like to ask; the rifling in the barrel is not very distinct (my point of reference is a FWB 65 though), if I decide to change it, will a new one work with a phase one steel breech and probe?
    In an old thread from 2010, it appears that a phase one barrel is too small for a phase three probe...

Cheers,

Mark.