Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new favourite Sport

My new favourite Sport

Good evening chaps,

Thought I would post some pics of this Mastersport as I’ve just finished the refurb and I’m v pleased with the results.

This was a rifle that I sold a while back but it bounced straight back to me as the trigger failed. I had a good look at it (and myself) when it came home and on closer inspection it had certainly seen better days. This rifle was my original Mastersport, the second one we built and it had, had a lot of use. The stock had broken across the grip and whilst the repair is almost invisible the checkering was buggered and the refinishing of the woodwork left a lot to be desired. So, rather than sell it again, I stuck it back up in the loft.

Anyhoo, later, influenced by the stock on my MK4 sport which is a rifle I really enjoy, I decided to undertake a restyle to produce a more slimline, rakish version of the Mastersport. The checkering was beyond saving so the only option was to stipple the panels. The refinish was a labour of love as I wanted to remove all trace of previous stains. The walnut is french and golden and glorious, the grip cap rosewood. It took forever to fill the grain but once that was done the finish came really quickly, around 2 weeks, and I think the result is very pleasing. It’s very light and super quick into the shoulder.

The trigger is our two stage conversion. I replaced the blade with a straight target type and modified the geometry slightly to lighten the release weight on the second stage.

Scope is a tried and tested Tasco AG 2-7x32 in an old EAW one piece mount and proportionally I think it looks perfect.

Not only is it a very pretty little air rifle it also performs as you would expect. I grabbed an old/new tin of circa 1985 Eley Match to warm it up, and once sighted in I put 25 shots through it, seated, off hand, at 25 yards. Shooting at the old NSRA 6 yard rifle target, zeroed so that the cross hairs sit at 6 o’clock on the black, for that defined aim point so necessary for precision, resulted in a group where all bar one could be covered by an old 5 pence piece. Not as good as some on here but as good as I can manage with anything these days. Remarkable for a rifle I bought from Tom Lindars in March 1981.

Wish I could do that with my Mk4.

Richard

Pics below.

http://s1067.photobucket.com/user/wh...slimline%20124

Amazing looking gun I wish I never traded my fwb124 for a pcp. Probably my biggest shooting regret letting that gun go.
    Basc Member
    .177 FX Wildcat, .177 Air Arms Pro Sport .22, .177 HW 100T, Air Arms TX200hc

Very nice job that
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

Omg, that is so nice I nearly collapsed.

peterd8877 is offline Anschutz connoisseur and marksman
    A lovely piece of timber, first class job. Enjoy!

That is very nice. Loving my 127 more every time I shoot it.

A beautiful classic,the aesthetics of which in a break barrel I don't think can be improved upon.

Apel Mount with a stainless cross pin... all in the little details.
    Just lovely.

A very nice gun and lovely job there Sir.
    It's a shame it isn't in my collection.
    Les..

Beautiful.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Very nice, I had a 127 with a Dave Welham stock, that had stunning grain as well
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Nice. really nice.

I'm down to one of each (a 124 and a 127) and they are staying with me until I die. Would be great to find some nice timber for them.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

That is beautiful

Airgunning eye candy there. With performance to match. An excellent job on a worthy project. Its risen from the ashes alright😊

Magnificent!! I think I am on the trail for one at last!