Thread: Imperial double express..

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia

Imperial double express..

for sale in Holts... £1300.
    Doesn't seem too bad considering the rarity.. I've never seen one in the flesh - just the AGW article in the 80s
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Unframed Dave is online now World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    Very reasonable. I wish I'd paid that for mine.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

I saw a part one when i had my Skan mk7 recalibrated by Mike....another shouda moment!!!
    Lovely bit of kit and very different

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post

for sale in Holts... £1300.
    Doesn't seem too bad considering the rarity.. I've never seen one in the flesh - just the AGW article in the 80s
    Hmmmm ... Holts is an auction house, so are you sure that the £1,300 you quote isn't the catalogue valuation? Rarely do Holts advertise a BIN (Buy It Now) price, so my money is on that figure maybe being the catalogue valuation, as these are often set deliberately low, so as to suck in potential bidders?

I did a retrospective field test and article on the Double Express for AGW back in (iirc) 2010 so know how well made and rare these air rifles are, so would be staggered if that is all it achieves, and as I also wrote an in-depth article on Holts collectable air rifle auctions circa 2012 (or there abouts) for AGW, I know how the clever fellows at auction houses set their hooks.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    Rarely do Holts advertise a BIN (Buy It Now) price, so my money is on that figure maybe being the catalogue valuation, as these are often set deliberately low, so as to suck in potential bidders?
    Gareth Holts do advertise guns that didn't sell in their auctions BIN straight afterwards, with the price generally being set at the lowest figure of the estimate range.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Well, the sale was on Thursday, and ST posted yesterday, suggesting that £1,300 was the hammer price.

They also apparently sold a refinished unoriginal 3-barrel Webley Service set for (gulp) £3,100. 😳

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    This was indeed a BIN (inc all fees) price in the unsold auction lots sale... (I had registered / viewed, hence getting the email - came out very quickly after the auction itself ended)
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post

Gareth Holts do advertise guns that didn't sell in their auctions BIN straight afterwards, with the price generally being set at the lowest figure of the estimate range.
    Wow. Said initiative must've been introduced since my article then? Cheers for the up-date, Danny, coz as I may've said once or twice before, "every day is a school day" yes? ...

That ploy does make marketing sence however, and I assume is only actioned at the sellers request, and if they don't want to re submit their item for a further auction? Atb: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post

This was indeed a BIN (inc all fees) price in the unsold auction lots sale... (I had registered / viewed, hence getting the email - came out very quickly after the auction itself ended)
    Thanks for the heads up and background info: appreciated.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Was this the same rifle that was put up about 2 years ago at around £2000 starting price and didn't sell. or is my memory playing up again.
    A good buy for someone at £1300 all in.

I was at the auction where the Double Express that Gareth wrote about was sold.

It was a local auction in Chatham, Medway Towns, a local lady's brother had died and had left a large collection of firearms, including I believe some naughty ones, these were collected by a local FEO.

She contacted a local RFD who took possession of the non naughty ones and a load of ammo.

She showed him two airguns, the Double Express fitted with an Optima Gamekeeper scope and a Whiscombe JW 60 or 65 and said make me an offer, I don't want a lot for them, he said I don't do airguns, so they went to the auction with all the household stuff.

A local chap named Richard, posted on the BBS the details of the air rifles and the auction.

I thought I'd go and have a look, the bidding started very slowly and I think there were only two bidders, me and the other guy.

I went up to around £1400- £1600 or so on each one, but the other guy got them.

She saw me bidding, and afterwards told me she was astonished, she couldn't believe how much they went for, she said she would've taken £100 each for them and been happy.

I definitely got auction fever, because I think at the time the Whizzer was worth about £1300, the Double Express I wasn't sure about.

The Double Express went into the next Holts auction with a SP of £2500, but I'm fairly sure it didn't sell.

I know a member on here bought a Double Express last year that didn't operate for £2500 or £3000, he did tell me how much he paid but I can't remember
    Last edited by master_shriller; 28-06-2018 at 12:16 PM.
    master(dot)shriller(at)gmail.com

Smile imperial double express.. pump up air rifle..

hi ben, yes it was £2,500.. kind rgds.. J.S.D.