Thread: The price of airgun spares

The price of airgun spares

I am regularly amazed at the the price of even simple airgun parts such as O rings. This set me wondering how much it would cost to assemble a gun entirely from spare parts if it were possible. I think it would be eye watering.

You pay for the fact they have to keep thousands of parts in stock and may not sell many of them.

Don't they come in handy though.

Quote Originally Posted by noz1 View Post
    I am regularly amazed at the the price of even simple airgun parts such as O rings. This set me wondering how much it would cost to assemble a gun entirely from spare parts if it were possible. I think it would be eye watering.
    With the prices on that auction site it's quite possible to cost you a hell of a lot more than to buy a new one from the shop. It's the older parts that become costly,

A car magazine priced up the parts to build a car and I'm sure it was a good deal more than buying it as a complete car.

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    A car magazine priced up the parts to build a car and I'm sure it was a good deal more than buying it as a complete car.
    In 1989, I priced up all the parts needed to build an MGB GT, and stopped when the total passed £25,000. You could buy a very tidy example for £8,000 at the time.

Some years before that, I priced up the components to build an HW77, and seem to remember it being about four times the price pf a new rifle.

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    A bike mag did it the 90's with a Honda fireblade.

And IIRC it came to somewhere in the region of £70-£90k!!!
    Master Debater

I used to work for a lighting manufacturer. They had a spares section that was the most profitable section in the business. On average the mark up on component price was at least 300%.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    A bike mag did it the 90's with a Honda fireblade.

And IIRC it came to somewhere in the region of £70-£90k!!!
    I remember the bike one also .

Quote Originally Posted by BTDT View Post
    In 1989, I priced up all the parts needed to build an MGB GT, and stopped when the total passed £25,000. You could buy a very tidy example for £8,000 at the time.

Some years before that, I priced up the components to build an HW77, and seem to remember it being about four times the price pf a new rifle.
    I know when I worked in the engine recons ,you could buy the parts of the hydraulic valve timing for the Rover kV6 engine separately.
    It was £700 or so for the motors but two complete heads were £850 or so for the pair complete with the hydraulic motors on them. .

Quote Originally Posted by noz1 View Post
    If the manufacturers give o ring sizes and hardness you can buy them much cheaper from eb8y by the 10. Ditto most screws.
    I try to mike them and buy them that way. Then I can replace them 9 more times for free.

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    Quote Originally Posted by TenMetrePeter View Post
    If the manufacturers give o ring sizes and hardness you can buy them much cheaper from eb8y by the 10. Ditto most screws.
    I try to mike them and buy them that way. Then I can replace them 9 more times for free.
    I needed a grub screw years ago and my local hardware shop had them but only sold them in 10's.

And it was still cheaper than one from Hull cartridge.

I think I still have 9 somewhere if anybody needs one.
    Master Debater

My first port of call for all screws, washers, 'O' rings etc is my local friendly engineers merchants.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk