Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crosman 600

Crosman 600

The Crosman 600 is a CO2 powered pellet pistol manufactured between 1960 and 1970. Unlike its contemporaries it was equipped with a unique mechanism that used some of the gas from each shot to actuate a shuttle mechanism that took a 0.22" lead pellet from the inline magazine and placed it in line with the rifled barrel at the moment of firing.

This particular example is a late model denoted by the plunger on the chamber cap used to puncture the 12 gram CO2 cartridge that powered the pistol. The wooden grips are aftermarket items.

The magazine follower can be cocked back into a notch allowing the 10 round magazine to be filled from the front.

Fully loaded magazine.

In the fired position, the shuttle is in line with the barrel. Cocking the hammer puts it in line with the magazine, allowing a pellet to feed. Once the trigger is pulled, the hammer simultaneously opens the valve momentarily while putting the shuttle in line with the barrel. Full video: https://youtu.be/1F7M3_zdBQA

The mechanism is seen here filmed at 1000 frames per second. The CO2 which escapes the valve not only propels the pellet down the barrel but also recocks the hammer which in turn returns the shuttle to the magazine feed position.

There is no seal around the shuttle, so in spite of it being a tight fit a visible amount of CO2 escapes around it. The pistol fires 14.3 grain pellets at a respectable 335 feet per second, sufficient for backyard plinking and for dealing with small pests at close range.

Viewed from above, note how the stack of pellets in the magazine temporarily moves rearwards at the moment of firing, as the domed head on the next pellet in line is forced out of the hollow skirt of the pellet about to be fired.

Excellent write up .
    Fantastic

So well done!

A couple of things, firstly the cocking lever should be returned to the forward position before firing to avoid wear on the screw or slot in the hammer.

The late models had steel triggers and a button safety catch, replacing the serrated 'thumb slicer' unit as well as the push in piercer unit. Brass and alloy valve units were used.

The pistol in your video has no safety catch fitted.

Lots of these pistols had upgraded parts fitted if they were returned to Crosman service stations and latterly by owners switching parts.

Black and Airforce blue paint has been seen on the Crosman 600 and other models in the pistol and rifle range

Thanks for the very informative write up and video clips.
    I do like the grips.

Thank you gents.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    A couple of things, firstly the cocking lever should be returned to the forward position before firing to avoid wear on the screw or slot in the hammer.
    I'm aware of this faux pas, in my defense I was more concerned with the camera at the time.

The late models had steel triggers and a button safety catch, replacing the serrated 'thumb slicer' unit as well as the push in piercer unit. Brass and alloy valve units were used.

The pistol in your video has no safety catch fitted.

Lots of these pistols had upgraded parts fitted if they were returned to Crosman service stations and latterly by owners switching parts.
    That I did not know, thanks for pointing it out!

Almost certainly the greatest of all the great designs by the great Rudy Merz of Crosman. I had the opportunity of talking to Rudy's son and he told the story of how one day he was playing his accordion on the porch with his dad watching the mechanism and it was from one of the actions of the accordion that Rudy got the idea of the swing arm mechanism in the Crosman 600.

Everything about the 600 including every service manual, every owner's manual, every service station bulletin, recall notice, every piece of paper that Crosman ever published on the model 600.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crosman-Arms...dp/1517270766/

Note: still have not been able to kill the Kindle edition. It's not good enough quality to read all of the graphics. Don't buy it.

Fantastic pics and videos! Thank you.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham

Thumbs up

Neat videos... (what slow-mo camera did you use?)

If you use flat heads (Bisley Practice work well) then you avoid strain & jams in loading mech as it doesn't need to push the magazine follower and pellets back to index the next pellet into battery.

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post

If you use flat heads (Bisley Practice work well) then you avoid strain & jams in loading mech as it doesn't need to push the magazine follower and pellets back to index the next pellet into battery.
    That's why I've always used RWS Hobby's in mine, as advised to do so by the seller of my first 600 many years ago.
    I've only got one left now having recently sold both the boxed ones.

sold mine years ago but was fun when using......empty mag in 2 secs
    had many a contest with my young daughter at the time in a make shift firing range in the kitchen lol against a brocock me38

Verminpells are my pellet choice.
    Flatheads and slippery.
    No jams!

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    Sony RX100

No jams so far with Crosman hollowpoints, they seem to be the right size.

Thumbs up

Hi

Good write up and pics!

I was told this was a bitsa as it's supposedly and early pistol but with the later Co2 cap that pierces the cart, I was then told that these were fitted when the guns were returned for servicing!

Have to say, I love this pistol, It's my fave of all my little uns!!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Hi

Good write up and pics!

I was told this was a bitsa as it's supposedly and early pistol but with the later Co2 cap that pierces the cart, I was then told that these were fitted when the guns were returned for servicing! John
    It took some digging but the whole story of the piercing caps finally came into focus when putting together the Model 600 book. There are 3 distinct variations that Crosman produced. The first is the well known twist and back off version that worked just fine with the model 160 rifle. However, with the 600, since there wasn't a second cartridge that was pierced when firing the gun, the user, who never read the manual, would not know what to do when nothing happened after they tightened down the cap. Crosman received guns for servicing when all that was needed was to back off the piercing cap. That's an intolerable situation so the 2nd version was introduce where the Powerlet was inserted neck first and a captive system (just like the Hahn 45) was used. This 2nd system was recalled and thus is rarely seen. Any of the 2nd variation that was sent to a repair station received a free upgrade to the 3rd system which is the push button type. However, there was a recall on these, too. As I recall, there was a series where the push button could be incorrectly installed with the result being a part flying out under pressure.