Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Palmer "Red's Special" vintage tranquilizer gun

Palmer "Red's Special" vintage tranquilizer gun

This CO2 powered rifle from the was made to shoot 50 cal tranquilizer darts at ranges up to 30 yards, with this particular example being manufactured in the 1970s.

As obtained it was leaking all over the place, so it was completely stripped down and resealed. One can see the similarity to the contemporary Crosman 160 0.22" pellet rifle on which this tranquilizer gun is doubtless based.

Trigger detail, a much cruder affair than the original 160 trigger and the return spring pushes directly on the stock. Clearly veterinarians are not as picky as target shooters. Note the two grooves on the hammer that allow for a high/low power setting to be selected.

Valve body and stem detail, in spite of the relatively massive 0.5" bore the transfer port is a mere 5/32" diameter, presumably unchanged from the original 160 valve. The barrel is also rifled, with 8 shallow right hand grooves, which is unusual given that tranquilizer darts are usually drag stabilized.

Barrel markings identifying it as a "Red's Special", presumably an older variation of the one currently being sold as a "Long Range Rifle Type Projector". I believe the current version is made for a single CO2 cartridge, while the one I have takes two.

The rifle was originally powered by 2 x 12 gram CO2 cartridges but for testing purposes, a fill nipple with check valve was machined in order to allow for testing at 1200 psi with high pressure air.

A dummy dart was also fabricated, weighing in at 8.84 grams. Another projectile tested was a 3/8" steel bearing weighing 3.54 grams in a 50 cal sabot weighing 0.68 grams.

Youtube test video

Cocking the hammer which has two settings - low and high power - to allow for the type of animal being targeted and range. Naturally for testing high power was selected.

Removing the bolt and loading the dummy dart.

At this point care is needed to avoid accidents.

Dummy dart impact on a piece of pine wood, approximately 250 feet per second impact velocity filmed at 1000 frames per second.

Dummy dart impact on a soup can, approximately 250 feet per second impact velocity filmed at 1000 frames per second.

3/8" steel bearing on an aerosol can, approximately 355 feet per second impact velocity filmed at 1000 frames per second. Not how the sabot remains trapped in the can and the pressure from the contents causes it to spin.

continued...

In order to load the darts, the bolt needs to be removed completely.

Simple rear sight.

Bolt closed and hammer in the safe position.

Bolt closed and hammer in the fired position.

Bishop stock in walnut.

Underside view showing the thumb screw that allows for the stock to be removed.

Fascinating, thank you! Interestingly, the Palmer Cap-Chur company is alive and well today. Its website here:

https://cap-chur.com/

Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Interestingly, the Palmer Cap-Chur company is alive and well today.
    Indeed, I actually contacted them in order to determine the date of manufacture. They did not have any records however the lady I was speaking to was kind enough to ask a long time employee who indicated that going by the serial number, it must have been made in the 1970s.

I also had someone bring in another example for repair so I took the opportunity to photograph them together:

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Another very interesting post... of course it needs the essential accessory of a Land Rover with Daktari stripes and a gun rack

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    Another very interesting post... of course it needs the essential accessory of a Land Rover with Daktari stripes and a gun rack
    I actually did drive a 1978 Series III for a while but left it behind when I moved across the pond, it had its charm having known the comforts of Dodge Ram 1500 I don't really miss it...

This rifle seems to be a current model!

Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

I wish I knew how to take pictures like that.......excellent photography.
    Remember, it is the strongest character that God gives the most challenges.

I’m guessing you don’t keep that in the U.K.

You need a specific S5 authority for all tranq guns?
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

Used to run into these on a fairly regular basis. There's also the same thing but built on the 150 pistol frame... yes, a 50 cal. model 150! As far as I am aware of, there are no regulations in the US for procession of this type of gun.

For some time, at least initially, these were built by Crosman Assoc. which was PY Hahn's personal little factory out back. There are no records on what was made there. What's happening today, I have no idea but they're still using Crosman airguns as the foundation for their products.. the last I looked.

One interesting thing about the chap chur rifles is that over the years they seem to have made a whole bunch of variations. If anything, I can't recall ever seeing two that were exactly the same.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardH View Post
    I’m guessing you don’t keep that in the U.K.

You need a specific S5 authority for all tranq guns?
    Canada, I have no idea why my profile lists me as being in sheffield

Quote Originally Posted by DT Fletcher View Post
    Used to run into these on a fairly regular basis. There's also the same thing but built on the 150 pistol frame... yes, a 50 cal. model 150! As far as I am aware of, there are no regulations in the US for procession of this type of gun.

https://cap-chur.com/product/cap-chu...ype-projector/

https://cap-chur.com/product/cap-chu...ype-projector/

Quote Originally Posted by vbull View Post
    I wish I knew how to take pictures like that.......excellent photography.
    Cheers, I'm sure it's a lot more to do with the quality of the camera that any particular talent on my part.

Quote Originally Posted by fullmetaljacket View Post
    Canada, I have no idea why my profile lists me as being in sheffield
    I'm sure its fine then, it would be a huge deal in Sheffield though.
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    While some Land Rover vehicles were used in the show, it was a Jeep Gladiator pick-up which sported the iconic zebra stripage. CORGI, the makers of scale model die-cast cars, made a quick buck by painting its Land Rovers with the zebra stripe, cunningly estimating that their customers would not check or be bothered at the mismatch. This may be the source of your egregious error, quite possibly literally a 'schoolboy error'.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    egregious error!!!!
    ....I wuz only 5 when it came on over 'ere m'lud...and in my defence me Corgi Land Rover was me point of reference at the time

But I will forever now remember this little useless nugget of information as I did not know this...

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    ....I wuz only 5 when it came on over 'ere m'lud...and in my defence me Corgi Land Rover was me point of reference at the time

But I will forever now remember this little useless nugget of information as I did not know this...
    I enjoyed watching the show in the 70s, but I didn't remember the stipey car at all so you have the better memory, although I do remember the Mauser-type hunting rifle in some episodes. I wonder if it was a Winchester Model 70? Which reminds me, do you still want that Crosman Model 70? Will be down Cambridge way in a few weeks.