Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My favourite new 77

My favourite new 77

Following on from ‘My favourite New Sport’, let me introduce you to the one, the only, the Airmasters HW77RT, that’s correct ‘RT’ not FT.

This derivative of the FT was built by myself and my father, John Welham, but was never fully assembled until now.

I had the bright idea to build a 77 to use as a running boar rifle. My thinking was that recoil didn’t really matter with a heavy swinging rifle and that the additional 200fps had to be useful in cutting down lock time and the lead needed to hit the target. I had never shot RT but at 18, I knew everything about everything, as all 18 year olds do. Also there were all sorts of moving target events turning up as side shoots in late 85, and I just loved the whole RT rifle aesthetic.

So my Dad made up a stock, based on our FT model with a little LG 380 in the mix. However, having the attention span of a mmmm cheese, I really like cheese, I moved onto the next great idea. Meanwhile, in a brave attempt to get me to focus and actually finish something that I had started, my old man finished the stock, by spraying it a high gloss black and putting it out on display in the shop.

Well, it certainly got our customers attention. Perhaps they didn’t all love the finish but they all absolutely loved its ergonomics. Mr Doe being one of them there admirers.

In the end my Dad gave up waiting for me to finish the project and sold the stock. So when it appeared on, in a terrible state, onGstar a few years ago, I picked it up with the intention of finally finishing the job. The sharper minds amongst you will notice it was a few years ago, what can I say, old habits and that.

It’s a full length model with a barrel sleeve and weight copied from the FWB300 to get the desired swing. The trigger is a straight multi adjust job set to a single stage release. The trigger guard is machined from mild steel, the design copied from the one I made for Terry’s Emily back in the day. Eventually I will have this blacked to match the action. The reblack was by Paul Chell, I can’t recommend Paul enough, his work is fantastic.

On inspection, my Dad remarked, ‘that’s quite nice, but somehow, I expected more for 33 YEARS WORK!

He may have a point.

http://s1067.photobucket.com/user/wh...rs%20HW77%20RT

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Wow! Well worth the wait though

I'd like to put my name down for the second one......
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Thumbs up

I like that - Nice job.

All of the above.

That is very nice and still looks like an Airmasters rifle. Nice one.

Very nice indeed!

Which reminds me I have an HW97 MK1 action at Dave's that he's had for a 'while' that he is making a muzzle brake and underlever catch for.

The action came in a blonde thumbhole stock that I suspected was an 80's Airmasters stock.When I last saw Dave at Christmas he showed me an old catalogue of Airmasters stocks which confirmed my suspicion.

It will be a lovely rifle when finished and seeing your 77RT inspires me to get it finally done!
    Last edited by mrto; 25-06-2018 at 12:26 AM.

Wow! Beautiful.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Simply stunning!!!

Simply lovely )

Gorgeous gun ! Stunning workmanship.

Thats a very nice looking gun.

Hw77k

Show off. Joking apart I wish someone would do custom specials like this again. Simply Lovely. Mach 1.5

peterd8877 is offline Anschutz connoisseur and marksman
    Lovely job.

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    Wow! Well worth the wait though

I'd like to put my name down for the second one......
    Nice one, but it may take a little longer to make than the first.

I'm not as focussed as I used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    Show off. Joking apart I wish someone would do custom specials like this again. Simply Lovely. Mach 1.5
    Thanks Mach. There is a definite gap in the market for this kind of custom work, someone somewhere must have the inclination.

Your rifle is stunning mate, I wish you all the very very best of fun with it in the years ahead.

I also wish that somebody would make that exact style of stock for the 77 instead of the usual boring Thumbholes & Sporters
    The FWB300 style of stock with a Tyrollean cheekpiece is my dream stock for my own 77