Thread: Two stage springer power?

Two stage springer power?

I did a search but couldn’t really find anything

Question is on the later type HW45 Air pistols they have a two stage cocking for different power this got me thinking about if this can be implemented in a Springer Rifle?

I’m not quite sure how this works on the 45 I assume it’s to do with piston travel and varying pressure on the spring.

For example let’s take a smallish type rifle say the HW99 would it be possible to modify this so a half cock would have less pressure and obviously a full cock would give it the full power?

I’m thinking this would be ace for juniors as they could grow with the rifle and also offer seniors the choice of low power plinking or close range work if required etc

Dunno just one of those quirky brain moments that’s probably been answered many times before

Theoben Eliminator, just look it up

Ora

twin cocking spring rifles

Three designs come to mind, the Whiscombe, Theoben dual magnum and finally Harold Resudgens design for both rifle and pistol.
    A patent was granted for the design to Webley and the designer.

Easy - 2 different lots of the same pellet - 1 lot with vasaline on and, 1 lot without

All of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by ora8i View Post
    Theoben Eliminator, just look it up

Ora
    The Dual Magnum actually.

However to respond to OP - each cocking position has its own POI, and it's not just an elevation variation.

You would need to zero your scope to whatever cocking position you decide to use, and stick with it.
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

Yep, it wouldn't be beyond the talents of many of the more accomplished "shed tuners" to come up with a piston and trigger design to allow for dual power.

However, it sometimes raises more issues than answers. Even with the '45, the points of impact on the two power settings / stroke lengths vary tremendously due to different recoil characteristics / pellet exit timings, so you're actually better off deciding on one power level and sticking to it for consistency (both of technique and point of impact).

A bit like a multi-pump pneumatic in some ways. Although the variable power may seem like a good thing to have, Airguns are all about precision shot placement, so you end up settling on a particular number of pumps.

So, that sounds like a great excuse to get another gun, Nick.

Keep the '99 and also get something a shade lighter, a little more compact, with less cocking effort and super, super-sweet firing cycle. Like a nice little '30S. Y'know, like you just went and sold recently!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Thanks for the interesting replies chaps 👍

Tony ‘boinger’ L haha you love to rub it in eh?

BTW it’s a 50k I have not a 99 all be it in a nicer dress

I wasn’t planning on getting anymore rifles Tone I’m trying to thin down

I do have another crazy plan on the table though something I’ve always wanted to do regards using dual power with a spring and a gas ram combined

Haha.

Yes, I remember now that yours is the "rest of the World" version and also screwcut?

Now, you and I both know that you will be buying and selling off a fair few more guns in your time, Nick, so don't you go kidding yourself, okays?

And it'll be very interesting to hear of your techno ideas once you reveal them.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    1906 bonehill britannia rifle has two different sear engagement notches on the piston for dual power.. not a new idea
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolzzz View Post

I’m thinking this would be ace for juniors as they could grow with the rifle and also offer seniors the choice of low power plinking or close range work if required etc
    The juniors I know, when you tell them to pump a gun twice they will give it 4 or 5 pumps!! They will never use them half cock.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    1906 bonehill britannia rifle has two different sear engagement notches on the piston for dual power.. not a new idea
    Sounds about right, JB.

Very rarely anything new in our little world.