Thread: F1 crono a new experience

F1 crono a new experience

Bought an f1 crono after reading about them on forums. Tried it out today on my old Webley Mark 3.
    Used two types of pellets jumbo heavy 18.13 gr averaged 487.8 fps giving 9.58 ft.lbs
    then tried
    excite 14.66 gr average 534.6 FPS giving 9.31 ft.lbs.
    Are thes results about right for the mark 3? Just trying to get an idea of how it all works.
    Thanks for any useful comments.

You have the wrong weight for Excite (Spike). The weight is actually 15.74g - see the H&N website here

https://www.hn-sport.de/en/action-shooting/spike-22

This suggests your power reading will actually be quite a bit higher, given the pellet is heavier than you thought.

The Mk3 is quite pellet fussy, given it is an old .22, ie 5.6mm whereas the German calibre is 5.5mm in terms of their barrel size. The Mk3 therefore requires a slightly larger pellet. I have found that BSA Elites do well with these but so, too, do Superdomes.

You should be able to get over 10ft/lbs with the right pellet. Mine does between 10.1-10.5 ft/lbs, which is what they were designed to do.

I might mention that I have found Excite (Spike) extremely accurate and consistent. It is one of my favourite pellets.

Excellent prediction...

9.31 x (15.74 / 14.66) = 10 ft.lbf

Thanks for the reply andrewH very helpful.

Thanks Andrew I will check my weights and try again.
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewM View Post
    You have the wrong weight for Excite (Spike). The weight is actually 15.74g - see the H&N website here

https://www.hn-sport.de/en/action-shooting/spike-22

This suggests your power reading will actually be quite a bit higher, given the pellet is heavier than you thought.

The Mk3 is quite pellet fussy, given it is an old .22, ie 5.6mm whereas the German calibre is 5.5mm in terms of their barrel size. The Mk3 therefore requires a slightly larger pellet. I have found that BSA Elites do well with these but so, too, do Superdomes.

You should be able to get over 10ft/lbs with the right pellet. Mine does between 10.1-10.5 ft/lbs, which is what they were designed to do.

I might mention that I have found Excite (Spike) extremely accurate and consistent. It is one of my favourite pellets.