Thread: BSA barrel narrow cocking slot

BSA barrel narrow cocking slot

Hi all,
    Want sure to post this question here our in collectors.
    Basically I've got a .25 that i was going to put on my Mercury but it had the narrow slot of the cocking lever.
    Question is is there a cocking lever that it's narrower that will fit the mercury to slow this barrel to fit or will the barrel slot need to be machined if this is the case it maybe be better cost wise to find the correct barrel.
    Cheers
    Johnj.
    Webley Excel, Webley Tomahawk, Air arms khamsin, Air arms Pro Sport, Bam B26-2, Bam B45-3, BSA Mercury, Sharp Innova (licenced Indonesian version).

Quote Originally Posted by johnj View Post
    Hi all,
    Want sure to post this question here our in collectors.
    Basically I've got a .25 that i was going to put on my Mercury but it had the narrow slot of the cocking lever.
    Question is is there a cocking lever that it's narrower that will fit the mercury to slow this barrel to fit or will the barrel slot need to be machined if this is the case it maybe be better cost wise to find the correct barrel.
    Cheers
    Johnj.
    Ah, I take it that your Mercury is a MK3 or later with an articulated cocking link John ?

The MK1 and MK2 Mercuries had a narrower one piece cocking link but you'd need to use a MK1 or MK2 stock with it due to them having a longer cocking lever slot in the fore end.

Personally, I'd just widen the slot you have with a Dremmel.

All the best Mick

Oooo! This could be another moment that I make myself look dumb.
    The gun is a MK2.
    Its a project that is in the loft and its almost time to come out. However I compared the .25 barrel to a barrel I'm sure came off the Merc and the slots are different.
    Not sure I'd like to dremmel the slot really but may try it.
    Cheers
    Johnj.
    Webley Excel, Webley Tomahawk, Air arms khamsin, Air arms Pro Sport, Bam B26-2, Bam B45-3, BSA Mercury, Sharp Innova (licenced Indonesian version).

Quote Originally Posted by johnj View Post
    Oooo! This could be another moment that I make myself look dumb.
    The gun is a MK2.
    Its a project that is in the loft and its almost time to come out. However I compared the .25 barrel to a barrel I'm sure came off the Merc and the slots are different.
    Not sure I'd like to dremmel the slot really but may try it.
    Cheers
    Johnj.
    Very strange, John, what is the serial number on the .25" barrel you have ?

After a quick search it appears that Knibbs are knocking out .25" BSA barrels at a good price. ---

http://www.airgunspares.com/store/pr...ic-Barrel-.25/

All the best Mick

That'll be one of those there barrels that I brought a few months back.
    I'll have to drag the Mercury out of the loft this weekend and see if I've got it wrong.
    Cheers, johnj.

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Very strange, John, what is the serial number on the .25" barrel you have ?

After a quick search it appears that Knibbs are knocking out .25" BSA barrels at a good price. ---

http://www.airgunspares.com/store/pr...ic-Barrel-.25/

All the best Mick
    There’s a reason they are cheap Mick, I think they were Australian spec barrels?

Front Sight Fixing screw hole is on the underside of the barrel but it can be redrilled on the top.
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    I'm sure I've had this problem before and just took out the middle plastic washer from the cocking link of the later articulated type but saying that if your Merc is a mk2 then you will have the one piece cocking linkage and I'm sure those are just pressed metal and may be easy enough to just crimp together until they are narrow enough to fit in the slot.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in