Page 34 of 86 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484 ... LastLast

Thread: 8th & 9th September 2018 Boinger Bash --- Event and Payment Details

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Me too, Les, as I'd hate for you to miss out on cuddle times.

Will keep you posted, maybe some exciting news to come from its little excursion.
    Ok mate fingers crossed .
    Boing
    Les

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohannon View Post
    So, what if I painted it like a Hawaiian shirt?

what then?
    It would look silly.

FFS.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

Ah, yes, at last.......a chap who remembers / has used the good old RWS Diablo. I've mentioned them many a time on here and had very few responses. Lovely pellets. The very first German pellets, with the Hobbies, that I bought to use in my very first HW35. I was 14 or 15 at the time and had to go on the train to Sheffield and buy them from Guns and Ammo there. Dropped my very first crow with the old "squirrel" wadcutter. This was well before the Superdome became available, as you'll know. And, yep, tried the H&N Pointed too a little later.

Those Marksmans are particularly shoddy, though, and very inconsistent in size. Think I might not use 'em anymore. I forgot to bring them to the last Bash for peeps to have a giggle at; I'll bring them along next time.
    Y'know what Tone, I don't ever remember buying those RWS Diablo pellets in .22

Maybe I did get some to use in my .22 HW77K that I bought when they first came out, I'm guessing 1985ish £99.95 from Jim Johnson in Norbury

Nevertheless, what RWS pellet has replaced them

I admit that for plinking these days with my pistols I prefer to use RWS Hobby, GECO wadcutters or Umarex wadcutters; they're all perfectly adequate for short to mid-range Boinging

As for those Marksman pellets, I'm determined to buy all the different calibres, both roundhead and pointed, in all the different packages, as Mrs SE likes the 'boxes'

Up we go with a "cup of tea after work" BOING

BOING
    ATB, Paul
    Always looking for new members at the Swalecliffe and District TSC in sunny Herne Bay
    http://www.sanddtsc.org.uk/

Hi People,

Alisha, my daughter (the girl at the last bash with the pink 'get up') and I went to our local gun shop today to look at buying her a springer. I'd seen on youtube that the HW95 was easy to cock, the shop had two, standard and Luxus, both long barrel.

Long story short, she can't cock them, or any other full power springer in the shop

So my new thought was side leaver (leaver on the right). I know they are out of fashion now, but what was the best side leaver in the day? Maybe she could get a good one? I understand they are normally 'tap feed' and that's not very good?

Thinking of the Diana 52 or 48.

Any help with my weedling daughter ?
    She was very disappointed today as I think she was rather taken by the HW95 .177 Luxus.

Thanks.
    Last edited by MrChipShoulder; 20-07-2018 at 05:27 PM.

flyingfish is offline I may only have 5 but I have the best 5
    Look at fitting a barrel weight to the break barrel (or shroud). Alisha can try my 98 in September. Easiest rifle to cock I own
    Pete

From memory, the 52/48 are harder to cock than a 95.
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

Would a Pro Sport be any easier?

Her basic problem is how far away the end of the barrel is. I thought a side leaver would be OK as it's closer and being pulled closer to the body.

So maybe the Pro Sport holds the answer being close to the body??

We can get our hands on a Pro Sport tomorrow at Keens Guns if we go to Tondu for a shoot (any excuse )

Quote Originally Posted by Sunbeam View Post
    Would a Pro Sport be any easier?

Her basic problem is how far away the end of the barrel is. I thought a side leaver would be OK as it's closer and being pulled closer to the body.

So maybe the Pro Sport holds the answer being close to the body??

We can get our hands on a Pro Sport tomorrow at Keens Guns if we go to Tondu for a shoot (any excuse )
    I bought a new prosport on Wednesday and I can honestly say that she will struggle to cock it unfortunately. I also have a 95 and in comparison is much easier. If you have a look on youtube for prosport reviews you'll see what I mean straight away. On one review there's a fairly chunky guy using two hands to cock it. One option would be to get a 95 in .177 and insert a softer spring to reduce the power down to maybe 9.5 - 10 ft lbs and will be much easier to cock.
    Last edited by MikeHW45; 20-07-2018 at 06:52 PM.

What did young Alisha think to the little HW30S that she tried at the last Bash?

I half seem to remember that she may have had issues cocking that? And they don't come much easier than a little 30S. And many mature shooters favour this beautiful little rifle for its sublime manners and fine, easy-to-access accuracy.

My guess would be that the big Diana sidelevers would be a bit of a beast.....she'd maybe be okay shooting from a bench but I would guess that you'll be doing the cocking and loading. Same, maybe, for the Prosport?

Now, if the actual all-up weight is not regarded as a stumbling block for any of the full sized rifles, I'd say consider some of the break barrels with a manual breech latch as this makes it so much easier as you haven't to do the hard tap to overcome the detent. So the HW35, Walther LGV and CZ Slavia 634.

Sidelever......mmmm.....again, if the all-up weight wasn't going to be an issue, what about a beautiful classic Feinwerbau 300S. Sidelever so not far a reach and low cocking effort. And one of the most finely engineered rifles of all time? Think they did a junior version too, maybe? Bought at the right price it's also likely to appreciate in value.

Still thinking the little 30S could be the one, though.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeHW45 View Post
    I bought a new prosport on Wednesday and I can honestly say that she wont be able to cock it unfortunately. I also have a 95 and in comparison is much easier. If you have a look on youtube for prosport reviews you'll see what I mean straight away. On one review there's a fairly chunky guy using two hands to cock it. One option would be to get a 95 in .177 and insert a softer spring to reduce the power down to maybe 9.5 - 10 ft lbs and will be much easier to cock.
    You kept that one quiet, Mike.

Very well done, sir.

And you're right - many grown up blokes pick the awkward cocking out as a negative for this rifle.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul SE View Post
    Y'know what Tone, I don't ever remember buying those RWS Diablo pellets in .22

Maybe I did get some to use in my .22 HW77K that I bought when they first came out, I'm guessing 1985ish £99.95 from Jim Johnson in Norbury

Nevertheless, what RWS pellet has replaced them

I admit that for plinking these days with my pistols I prefer to use RWS Hobby, GECO wadcutters or Umarex wadcutters; they're all perfectly adequate for short to mid-range Boinging

As for those Marksman pellets, I'm determined to buy all the different calibres, both roundhead and pointed, in all the different packages, as Mrs SE likes the 'boxes'

Up we go with a "cup of tea after work" BOING

BOING
    Yep, those Diablos were available in both of the popular calibres, Paul. Lovely, very well made pellets and no direct replacement as far as I'm aware. I guess RWS rationalised the range a little. Once the Superdome came out, that was the pellet for outdoor use (and to a smaller degree the Superpoints a few years earlier) and they had the Hobby for paper punching practice and the Meisterkugeln for more serious target use.

Like you, I use Hobbies a lot. Great for short range down the garden and hallway. Awesome for close range rats when I used to shoot 'em, too! I did get some of the Gecos a couple of years ago but, despite the very good initial impressions (wow, they look nice and shiny when you first open the tin) there seemed more swarf in the tin than with Hobbies and don't seem as consistently made to me. And Hobbies are cheap enough. The Meisterkugeln is still available and even the R10 are very reasonably priced, methinks.

And you're welcome to this Marksman box and its contents if you want 'em!

Very well done, sir.

And you're right - many grown up blokes pick the awkward cocking out as a negative for this rifle.
    That's funny
    I find my Prosport easier to cock than my TX.
    and i'm an OAP

Weight is not an issue Tony, It will only ever be shot off the bench rested on her PINK bean bag She shoots a full size scopped .22 Rim fire off the bench at Tondu, that beast is heavy as hell, she is very good with it. Huge gun, very small person, looks comical, but I'd not like to shoot for points against her

It's all about cocking effort.

To be honest, she was a little on edge shooting the HW30 as it wasn't her gun and she was a bit sheepish when using it. There may be an HW30 in Keens??

That's nice, Gramps.

Just goes to show we're all different and different things suit different peeps etc etc......

Very well done, sir.

Cheers Tone, it was a bit spur of the moment to be honest. I have a TX200 in .177 and one in .22. My mate Terry who came to the last bash was looking for a TX200 in .177 but didn't want to mess around stripping a new one to change guides etc so bought mine from me as it already shoots pretty nice and has the Delrin guides inside. Also having not fired an air rifle for years, he managed to hit the bucket several times over with my TX at the bash so it pretty much sold itself!!!!