Thread: cleaning barrel question

cleaning barrel question

AAS400f this is my main gun bought new last year,be lucky if its had tin of pellets through it.its been amazing for accuracy cant fault it.so i bought a tx200 which i use late summer till next spring,just gives aas400 a rest.before i put s400 away i cleaned inside of the barrel using those longish metal rods with furry brush on the end,sure ya know what i mean,3 months later i have a bit plink in back garden with s400 same rws superdome tin of pellets i used before i put gun away as it loves these superdomes,anyways i open tin and pellets have gone dark grey (were silver),its not as accurate as it was before i cleaned barrel,is there nothing to worry about ? could it be cos i cleaned barrel or pellets gone funny colour or combination of both ?.maybe barrel just needs more led through it but that said it was amazing accuracy when i first bought it.any thoughts please lads ?.

Quote Originally Posted by robhw97k View Post
    pellets have gone dark grey (were silver),its not as accurate
    Your pellets have oxidised. They are now only suitable for close-range plinking, if that.

Before you worry about barrel cleaning, try a tin of new pellets.

I would not rod an airgun barrel. It is not necessary.

Was the brush bristle or wire. Both are not good news IMHO.

Get a pull thru and some .22 patches......some good quality gun oil and pull through till they come out clear. Then a few dry ones.

A clean barrel can actually open a group until it leads up..... or it can tighten it. Each barrel os different.

The pellets are buggered.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

It's probably a combination of both Rob.
    . If it's accurate, I wouldn't bother with the barrel clean before you put it away - you'll only change the leading from the pellets.

Oxidised pellets also won't do you any favours - you could try some lube but, they'll probably still be shite. I'd buy new pellets and, put a load down the barrel to see if the accuracy comes back.

Good luck 👍

All of the above.

A gunsmith told me add couple drops of gun oil to tin pellets but still no good,ill bin those,also ill do away with those rods i used to clean barrel n use pull through.ah well it aint all bad i thought might av been problem with the gun,but by sounds of it just needs better quality pellets,ill do that n see how it goes.cheers lads great for advice as always :-)

my usual answer. and it works. fag filters. fire a few through and lo and behold a clean barrel.
    the only thing i can find wrong is the nut on the steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by max headroom View Post
    my usual answer. and it works. fag filters. fire a few through and lo and behold a clean barrel.
    Don't forget with this method to....
    A) take off any silencer or similar appendage like a stripper
    B) if it is a Springer put a pellet in the barrel behind the fag filter otherwise it is just like dry fire

Cheers Rich.
    Last edited by averageplinker; 11-09-2018 at 09:27 PM.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Rob, if you really must clean? then get one of those VFG Field wire pull throughs that come in a mint tin. I have one for my .22lr, and some drilled pellets too, just a drop of oil is all that you need for air.

I wouldn't on an air rifle though, by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Portzy View Post
    Rob, if you really must clean? then get one of those VFG Field wire pull throughs that come in a mint tin. I have one for my .22lr, and some drilled pellets too, just a drop of oil is all that you need for air.

I wouldn't on an air rifle though, by the way.
    beg to differ Portzy, never put oil in an air rifle barrel.
    the only thing i can find wrong is the nut on the steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by max headroom View Post
    beg to differ Portzy, never put oil in an air rifle barrel.
    Not intentionally behind the pellet yes but why would the barrel itself be a problem, especially if you pulled a dry felt through before shooting, as you would with any treated barrel be it air or powder.

Hello to All,

If you store an oiled barrel vertically, some oil will drain down.

This has happened to me.

Luckily, the oil did not get into the transfer port.

I store all my break-barrels broken, so this is not an issue with them.

I now use grease (Lupus) on the VFG cleaning felts, and this does not shift, but still does a fine job of cleaning.

A couple of the VFG shooting felts, or fag. filters (they work very well indeed ) backed by a pellet to remove excess grease before a session, and job is a good 'un.

Have fun

Best regards

Russ

Clean an air rifle barrel ? why ?? to stop it going rusty through lack of use maybe but personally I don't. Why throw away furry pellets ?? Just use them for plinking if you think they are going to be less accurate or give them to someone.
    Rabbit Stew, no artificial additives except lead.
    IF THE MUD REACHES YOUR KNEES GET OUT OF THE FIELD QUICK.
    WANTED. UNF MOD.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellycrawler View Post
    Clean an air rifle barrel ? why ?? to stop it going rusty through lack of use maybe but personally I don't. Why throw away furry pellets ?? Just use them for plinking if you think they are going to be less accurate or give them to someone.
    My Ultra lost accuracy recently, it was all over the place, couldn't hit a bottle top at 30 yards zero distance.

After a pull through with oiled patches and a few dry ones to finish it off, and 50 pellets to lead the barrel up, it was back to shooting spot on.

It must have had a good few thousand pellets through it before it needed cleaning though.