Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tatty hw95

Tatty hw95

Hi all, I have been offered a hw95k in .22 by a good friend. It shoots fine but a tad twangy but that is about as good as it gets. It’s in rather tatty condition with minor rust pitting on the barrel making it look like it’s been left in a barn and the stock has been stripped and bleached for some reason. Now what I want to know is what be a rough starting price to offer as I would want to get it re blued and fit a tbt kit to it if it is worth doing.
    Thanks in advance for any wise words from the 95 owners out there.

I wouldn't pay any more than £150 personally, Get the internals sorted and it Would make a good rough gun.

As described, I wouldn't give more than £100. for it myself.

I would say don't bother with the cosmetics, it would be cheaper to buy a nice one than to do a grubby one up..
    Fit a TBT kit and use it as it is or buy a tidy one (and still fit a TBT kit).

Edit; Looks like others have got there before me.

If you could get it for £100, spend £100 or so on a re-blue, £40 on a tuning kit and finish the stock yourself then you would have a seriously nice hw95 for second hand money, and the bluing would be miles better than Weihrauch's offering.

For me I wouldn't pay more than £80 for it. Chances are you will spend £50 on a spring/guides/seal package and fit it yourself. More if you need to pay someone to fit it for you. Then you will still need to refinish the stock (free apart from your time if you already have the materials) and it will still need the metalwork sorting. What is a reblue these days? £100 if you include post both ways?

If you want a rough barn gun, buy it as cheap as keeps you and he friends and spend a little on it as possible. If you want a nice 95 start off with a much better example it will work out cheaper imho.
    Cheers Rich
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

thanks for the replies so far. I was thinking about offering £60-70 for it as it owns him nothing, I had already looked at the tbt kit for about £60 and I am willing to do the stock myself and re finish it so that saves a few pennies. I will see if airtech would do the blueing. Is there any major problems that I should look out for.

Restoring rough guns is very rarely worth the time, effort and cost. Myself, I would buy it cheap, tidy it up with tools and bits I have to hand and use it as is. No worries about getting the odd scratch, wet or dinks.

John
    Law of any kind only affects those willing to abide by it.

As said above it's not cost effective to do a rough one up. I bought a gun that looked ok for just under £200 but after 2 years it stands me at £600 but if I did sell it I'd be lucky to get £300 for it.
    A re-blue would cost around £80 and nath92 is doing a stock refurb offer at the moment for £65 and around £60 for the tuning kit.
    Unless you know what you're doing let an experienced stock refurbisher do the woodwork for you or it will probably look worse when it's finished.
    There may also be hidden problems that won't be evident until after a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning1981 View Post
    thanks for the replies so far. I was thinking about offering £60-70 for it as it owns him nothing, I had already looked at the tbt kit for about £60 and I am willing to do the stock myself and re finish it so that saves a few pennies. I will see if airtech would do the blueing. Is there any major problems that I should look out for.
    If you are going to get a full TBT kit your main wear an tear worries are sorted as you will have a new spring, seal and guides etc. Other than that a new breech seal might be an idea (the seal around where you put the pellet).
    Check it for obvious signs of abuse such as broken or cracked stock, barrel bent slightly upwards, any of which suggest it might have been fired with the barrel open.
    Look down the barrel at a light source to check the bore is nice ans shiny, not dull and rusty.
    Are the screws mangled suggestion sloppy servicing?
    It sounds like you fired it so I am guessing it cocked and fired ok apart from the twang.

I still wouldn't bother with a reblue until you see how it shoots and how well the stock turns out. Great metalwork looks very odd with an iffy stock and mangled screws
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    If you are going to get a full TBT kit your main wear an tear worries are sorted as you will have a new spring, seal and guides etc. Other than that a new breech seal might be an idea (the seal around where you put the pellet).
    Check it for obvious signs of abuse such as broken or cracked stock, barrel bent slightly upwards, any of which suggest it might have been fired with the barrel open.
    Look down the barrel at a light source to check the bore is nice ans shiny, not dull and rusty.
    Are the screws mangled suggestion sloppy servicing?
    It sounds like you fired it so I am guessing it cocked and fired ok apart from the twang.

I still wouldn't bother with a reblue until you see how it shoots and how well the stock turns out. Great metalwork looks very odd with an iffy stock and mangled screws

I know the stock isn’t cracked and it shoots ok, I do know the rifle just wasn’t sure if it would be worth a bit of tlc. I will prob take a punt on it if it’s less than £100 and the stock can be made to look nice again. The plain beech isn’t doing it any favours along with the bit of rust. Thanks guys

Get it as cheap as possible, your friend has some idea of what he wants to start the ball rolling. Then use it as a beater
    John Darling JD (1946-2004) was my inspiration to be the best i can and enjoy the sport i love. R.I.P
    A dedicated HW80 Fanatic and owner since 1986 to present.

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    I have a habit of buying cheap beaters and then going a bit daft!

Here's a mk1 full length 95 I picked up for under £100

[IMG][/IMG]

And a proper ropey 97 I got for very little

[IMG][/IMG]

I have Paul Chell on speed dial and even after all the work, both are far better than new for secondhand prices
    God rest ye jelly mental men

I picked up a really cheap rough 95. It had a repaired broken stock(solid enough and one day may be attacked with car body putty to make something only I will love &#128513, bluing wasn't the best and it was a tad hot. Paid £80. Bought a guide set and short stroke nose for about £35 and a new stock for £30. If you can get it super cheap £60 like you were thinking, refinish the stock to a good standard and do a reblue with Colin or Paul then you will be laughing. Mabey not here if it's a diy stock refinish but on the dreaded peeadds you won't loose a dime if you move it on. Personally the guide and short stroke is enough. If you love it and want to keep it blue it. They are such a handy fun gun especially if you want to do a calibre swap later down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Plinker87 View Post
    I picked up a really cheap rough 95. It had a repaired broken stock(solid enough and one day may be attacked with car body putty to make something only I will love &#128513, bluing wasn't the best and it was a tad hot. Paid £80. Bought a guide set and short stroke nose for about £35 and a new stock for £30. If you can get it super cheap £60 like you were thinking, refinish the stock to a good standard and do a reblue with Colin or Paul then you will be laughing. Mabey not here if it's a diy stock refinish but on the dreaded peeadds you won't loose a dime if you move it on. Personally the guide and short stroke is enough. If you love it and want to keep it blue it. They are such a handy fun gun especially if you want to do a calibre swap later down the line.

Starting to get the feeling this could be a nice little project that can be done for second hand money as long as I keep an eye on what’s being spent. Again cheers for the input I will try n get this as cheap as poss and start looking at getting it sorted slowly and as cheap as poss