Thread: rebuilding a bluestreak

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HOMER View Post
    The original finish was called Ebonal C, which I believe was a factory term. The barrel is made of red brass & pump tube brass (dunno what grade?), the barreled assembly was dipped or plated with copper to facilitate the ebonal finish. I once took mine (1966 C rotary safety) to a well respected professional gunsmith with a lifetime in the trade, after sometime his recommendation was "spray it". I have tried all makes of cold blue, sadly the construction obviously does not allow immersion bluing. I would guess Cerakote might be a viable option, but any treatment which requires heat could well bugger the barrel (solder) joint with the pump tube as well as the valve soldering, so black chrome is probably out sadly.
    If I ever get time I would electrically plate the action/barrel after blocking the pump tube & barrel, then use proprietary bluing/blacking solution's
    HTH
    H

PS: I believe Sheridan/Benjamin discontinued the "blue" finish sometime during the late 70's or early 80's in favor of a sprayed or dipped paint type finish.
    Are well, no harm in asking & thanks, looks like I will have to keep using black felt tip pens! anybody got any recommendations ?

Quote Originally Posted by cringe View Post
    Are well, no harm in asking & thanks, looks like I will have to keep using black felt tip pens! anybody got any recommendations ?
    Cerakote at circa £75 would be permanent but might not be worth the cost to you?
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.