Thread: The remarkable BAM B3 / AK47

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    These remind me of the Langenhan break barrels from over a century ago, which were sold as Milltas, Ansonias, Lincolns and numerous other names.

Cracking little rifles and great to see they are still available.

John

So how do they shoot?
    Rich.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by averageplinker View Post
    So how do they shoot?
    Rich.
    Going to have a quick test tomorrow, but they are basic, so not expecting anything wonderful. Form Germany, so will be 6FP, which should help. With a little tuning, lubing & piston sleaving, they can be quite mild mannered. 25mm tube and a fairly light piston with shortish stroke is a good starting point. Trigger on the one I had previously was a bit vague though.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    Going to have a quick test tomorrow, but they are basic, so not expecting anything wonderful. Form Germany, so will be 6FP, which should help. With a little tuning, lubing & piston sleaving, they can be quite mild mannered. 25mm tube and a fairly light piston with shortish stroke is a good starting point. Trigger on the one I had previously was a bit vague though.
    Not anymore Jon - that trigger is lovely, as is the smooth action, which just shows these rifles respond very well to some tuning.

John

Shot them this morning.. much as expected Faily mild mannered shot cycle, but a little twangy. Trigger is vague, but as they are brand new will just shoot it a bit and see how it settles before trying anything.. it's a direct trigger, so never going to be epic... this also inclines me towards leaving the sligtly weedy 5-6 ft/lb spring in there, as there is really nothing to gain from an extra 2 ft/lb on an open sighted plinking springer - except making the trigger harder. One finger cocking is a bonus.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Scope?

Is it possible to mount a scope? I seem to remember years ago there was no rail.
    I am tackdriver, member since 2000, not any other unimaginative individual.

Quote Originally Posted by tackdriver View Post
    Is it possible to mount a scope? I seem to remember years ago there was no rail.
    Interesting question.. on these, there is a very shallow dovetail machined near the top edges of that rail on top - whereas on the older version the rail was plain, no dovetail. I'd not trust it with anything heavy, but I'm going to try either a light scope (SMK 4x28, surpisingly usable and small/light), or a red rot. The recoil is pretty low, but when I say those dovetails are fine...

Quote Originally Posted by tackdriver View Post
    I recall a previous importer, Trapper Industries offering a 'custom' version of the B3 as well as the standard, which was fitted with a muzzle break and very basic looking scope. This would have been around 2005. I think there's 'scope' (pardon the pun) for a shop/business to start offering these again, particularly as they can be sourced from Germany so cheaply.

John