Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The remarkable BAM B3 / AK47

Firstly, a public thank you to Jon (Shed Tuner) for ordering two B3s: one for us both.

I have just sighted mine in with Excite Flats and after a little sight adjustment with my genuine AK tool (yes I am that sad!), the rifle is hitting pin centre at 6 yards. OK, the trigger is a little creepy but easy to get used to. I'm incredibly pleased with the rifle, as a boxed .177 example matches my tuned .22 perfectly. I'm not even going to take her apart, as I can live with the slight twang upon firing. She's good enough to keep in standard form.

Thanks again Jon - you are a true gent

John

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Anytime mate
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

On it's way!

That's my B5 ordered and dispatched. Plinking scope and mounts already here courtesy of JSR.
    I am tackdriver, member since 2000, not any other unimaginative individual.

Thumbs up

I had a B3, It went along with five more when I decided to reduce my collection, Only trouble was that I went and bought six more

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

It's here!

That nice man from DHL delivered my B5 today. First impressions are good, hope to rattle a few pellets through it before getting it properly zeroed at the weekend. A couple of points for anyone considering the purchase of one...

1. I can recommend Waffen Naunin. Easy to deal with aided by Google translate and goods well packed and easy to track
    2. Almost every screw on the gun was loose and needed nipped up - especially the sight rail, which was barely attached
    3. Watch out if you mount a scope - compact size would definitely be better. My 4x40 is a bit too long, causing eye relief and loading port clearance issues
    4. The scope rail isn't the most robust - I'll see how it goes, might revert to iron sights anyway?
    5. Thought the gun had rusty patches, but this turned out to the horrible packing grease the Chinese and Russians love
    6. Easy to cock and a nice short stroke - but I guess there's not a whole lot of power anyway
    7. Horrible creepy trigger which is fine for it's intended plinking usage as it's no target gun but I'll see how the accuracy develops...

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by tackdriver View Post
    That nice man from DHL delivered my B5 today. First impressions are good, hope to rattle a few pellets through it before getting it properly zeroed at the weekend. A couple of points for anyone considering the purchase of one...

1. I can recommend Waffen Naunin. Easy to deal with aided by Google translate and goods well packed and easy to track
    2. Almost every screw on the gun was loose and needed nipped up - especially the sight rail, which was barely attached
    3. Watch out if you mount a scope - compact size would definitely be better. My 4x40 is a bit too long, causing eye relief and loading port clearance issues
    4. The scope rail isn't the most robust - I'll see how it goes, might revert to iron sights anyway?
    5. Thought the gun had rusty patches, but this turned out to the horrible packing grease the Chinese and Russians love
    6. Easy to cock and a nice short stroke - but I guess there's not a whole lot of power anyway
    7. Horrible creepy trigger which is fine for it's intended plinking usage as it's no target gun but I'll see how the accuracy develops...

Cheers!
    Stick with the irons I think a scope would spoil the clean lines of the rifle anyway.

It may be my imagination but the trigger on my 'new' B5 seems to be a lot smoother after a couple of weeks worth of use. It could be wearing in or I could just be be getting used to it.

BTW, an original Chinese Type 56 webbing sling can be sourced from t'bay for under a fiver.

Enjoy

John

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Yeah, and the trigger is direct, no sears, so all you could really do is reduce the engagement, which is risky if not very careful. If it wasn't just a fun gun, I might try and graft another trigger onto it (e.g. a gamo), but I really can't justify it. A good strip and relube, with a piston sleeve, works wonders for calming it down, and some moly in the trigger helps too.

As with John's, mine's worn in and is a littler better too.

I'll probably machine up some little delrin lateral spacers to sit each side of the trigger where it just floats around on the main rear crosspin though.

John, a chinese AK foresight adjuster (about £3 delivered) just came through the post today too.. your sadness is rubbing off on me
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Thanks

Thanks for the tip off about the sling John - I'll be having a look for one of them. I have installed an olde-world canvas one I had kicking around in the mean time.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    Yeah, and the trigger is direct, no sears, so all you could really do is reduce the engagement, which is risky if not very careful. If it wasn't just a fun gun, I might try and graft another trigger onto it (e.g. a gamo), but I really can't justify it. A good strip and relube, with a piston sleeve, works wonders for calming it down, and some moly in the trigger helps too.

As with John's, mine's worn in and is a littler better too.

I'll probably machine up some little delrin lateral spacers to sit each side of the trigger where it just floats around on the main rear crosspin though.

John, a chinese AK foresight adjuster (about £3 delivered) just came through the post today too.. your sadness is rubbing off on me
    Sounds like it didn't take much! I have an AK cleaning kit that incorporates a sight adjuster and in fairness is probably the only item in the kit which can be used on the air rifle!

Kind regards,

John

Thanks for the tip off about the sling John - I'll be having a look for one of them. I have installed an olde-world canvas one I had kicking around in the mean time.
    You are very welcome. I initially fitted a sling from a PPSH 41, which I obtained from Russia and I must admit I prefer the look of. However, the Type 56 is probably more 'correct'.

Kind regards,

John

If anyone’s fancies ordering a pair, I’ll happily go halves.
    Drop me a pm if so.
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

Case

What are you guys using for cases/bags, especially when folded as they are real short?

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Advertised widely in the airgun mags of yore as "The Ratter"...(in more ways than intended)

I had one - Nastily finished in a cross between red-oxide and yarnish , sharp edges all over the little bugger and slathered in nasty smelling brown grease everywhere, came complete with a comedy trigger and tool marks all over the shop.

Archer Airguns used to do a reworked version that looked a whole lot better and I adopted a similar style on my own. Can't see any pictures on the web - but one of the airgun mags has Stephen Archer writing for them now - so he'd be worth talking to...

People are still mucking around with them and here is a Dragunov styled one...http://topguns.ru/zhdu-mnenij-bam-xs-b3-1/?n=10

Its still a nasty little turd underneath though...
    Last edited by harvey_s; 06-09-2018 at 12:54 AM.

What are you guys using for cases/bags, especially when folded as they are real short?
    I use an AK Para bag, which holds the rifle with stock folded and has enough space for a dismantled magazine.

John

Childish I know...

Found an old fiddle case for sale around the corner from me for a fiver, so couldn't resist...

https://imgur.com/GfddY87

Just need to sort out some straps or padding.