Thread: Storage of CO2 cartridge collectables

Storage of CO2 cartridge collectables

Having bought my first CO2 cartridge collectable, I wondering if I should shoot out the 8 gram cartridge before storage? Is it better to leave one in pressurized? Any wisdom? With pump Airguns they say storage with a few pumps to keep dirt out?

My Hammerlis are happy with or without co2 being left in them for a couple of weeks.
    I don't really know which is better.

Best thing with any co2 gun is to use it regularly.
    Leaving one unused over winter leads to Spring disappointment.
    Whether its left full or empty.

Apparently Co2 is bad for rubber seals in the long term as it permeates them and causes swelling. That's all I know, and in view of the fact that the gas might leak anyway by the time another session is due, I always shot them empty or carefully released the gas.
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

The answer seems to depend on the type of seals a particular gun has. I've left Hämmerli CO2 guns charged for years with no ill effect (their exhaust seal is some kind of whitish polymer). Hard Delrin seals can be left under pressure no problem. According to Crosman guru Tim McMurray their early guns with harder seals could be left charged but recent models have softer seals that can be deformed and damaged by long-term pressurization, leading him to source high-durometer urethane replacements.

Don R.

Quote Originally Posted by draitzer View Post
    The answer seems to depend on the type of seals a particular gun has. I've left Hämmerli CO2 guns charged for years with no ill effect (their exhaust seal is some kind of whitish polymer). Hard Delrin seals can be left under pressure no problem. According to Crosman guru Tim McMurray their early guns with harder seals could be left charged but recent models have softer seals that can be deformed and damaged by long-term pressurization, leading him to source high-durometer urethane replacements.

Don R.
    Another great gun from you, you never seem to disappoint👍

I always leave with pressure in

I see no advantage by leaving the Powerlet in or by taking it out (other than for safety reasons.)

Thanks much, given I don’t shoot alot, leaving in the cartridge makes sense.