Thread: Dive Bottle Test - Short & Curly's?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    JerryD is offline Will only use cherry lipbalm
    Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    By the time you add postage and the work then it’s not far off. What do you want to save the £10 of vat and the trade discount?

The thing holds 4500 pounds per every square inch. Threads fail. I’ve had one go on a bottle that was only on its 2nd test. Same deal. Unless you think you’ve been caught in a wholesale scam for what seems to be about £20 profit and only affects two people who ever come in here then the likelihood is the thread has failed and the simple fix is to get those qualified to fix it to fix it.

Sod it, have a tantrum, save £11 and put the thing in with a set of grips. It’s only 300 bar. In fact why bother buying new? See if you can get one of the 1/2 dicky out almost out of test bottles on social media and save yourself more.

£60 on something that can let go and cover a football field in under a second when it does...
    Rob, I'm not belittling the dangers: HPA is nasty stuff if it goes wrong.

The point is that a test centre has to remove the valve anyway to inspect the bottle - no call for muckling it at home with pliers, they have the right kit and training. They get the valves wholesale price, and removing and refitting the valve is part of the test process. Why does this test centre in question have to charge over the odds for something that cost them a lot less than we would pay and would have to do anyway? It's the valve that's mullered, not the bottle so why are they not even returning the bottle sans valve?

There are 2 test centres around Peterborough: one is a pain and Parwin's are good... Paul will show you what's wrong, no withholding, just a fair test process with fully transparent information.

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by JerryD View Post
    Rob, I'm not belittling the dangers: HPA is nasty stuff if it goes wrong.

The point is that a test centre has to remove the valve anyway to inspect the bottle - no call for muckling it at home with pliers, they have the right kit and training. They get the valves wholesale price, and removing and refitting the valve is part of the test process. Why does this test centre in question have to charge over the odds for something that cost them a lot less than we would pay and would have to do anyway? It's the valve that's mullered, not the bottle so why are they not even returning the bottle sans valve?

There are 2 test centres around Peterborough: one is a pain and Parwin's are good... Paul will show you what's wrong, no withholding, just a fair test process with fully transparent information.

I know. But sometimes on these threads we can make it seem this is a casual item or people can get that idea.

If they return the bottle it's out of test it involves the OP taking it away, which as I am lead to believe is against the transport regulations which is what the test is about.... you can fill HPA at home without a test, it's not illegal or anything. It's when you move them that matters. The cylinders have to be either in test to be moved, or destroyed. Like an MOT there's a certain set of regulations for testing, and on failure there's a certain set of regulations for when that happens.

The reason they have to be destroyed is so when they are scrapped someone doesn't need to inspect them to make sure they're safe for recycling, they are no longer cylinders, just 3 bits of cylinder.

The centre is a business. They get things in at X price, they do Y work and charge Z. I don't see why it should make a loss for it's time and expertise to give someone a £10 or so discount. They'd still have to charge VAT.

Now there's a really simple way of solving this, instead of wasting all this time on the internet someone could phone Idest and ask, or failing that 2-3 test centres and see what they say about giving a bottle back when it's failed. Once you have that info then you can move on. It would be interesting because I had a cylinder fail once and I didn't get to keep the head... but then I'm not that tempted to do a diy assembly after buying a cylinder and I suspect the for the costs involved it wouldn't have been much of a saving.

When I take my bottles in, I trust the guys who do the work because they're the qualified ones and they don't want to upset me because I then keep going back for air... I know it's upsetting, I've had 2 fail, one never been mistreated and was just 10 years old, but it happens and that's why there is a test for all these bits because it does happen.
    Last edited by RobF; 06-07-2018 at 12:01 PM.