Quote Originally Posted by rabbitslayer View Post
For anyone who might still be interested.. I contacted the IDEST chief engineer regarding my experience as per my opening post. In short the outcome was as follows:

Q1. Do the DIN threads form part of the test?

A1. Valve assemblies fixed to the bottles have to be tested. The threads checked are the cylinder threads, valve stem threads and the DIN outlet threads.

Q2. Is it normal in your experience that DIN outlet threads with such little and very careful use fail. Are they that fragile?

A2.No not usually, but we often have problems with tolerances. If a male thread has a low end measurement and the thread gauge has a high end measurement then it will indicate a fail and vice versa. They are not fragile but can be damaged.

Q3.Should the test centre have given me the option to purchase a valve from elsewhere for them to fit free of charge as they would have to refit the valve anyway after disassembly?

A3. Yes most definitely. All options should be made clear to the customer i.e. source their own preferred valve (free fitment) or test centre to supply.

Q4. Given that it was only the valve assembly that failed (DIN outlet threads), is it correct that the centre can withhold the bottle (which is OK) or even scrap it if I do not authorise the valve replacement?

A4. Definitely not. The bottle cannot be withheld by the test centre and should be returned to the customer if this is their wish.

After talking this through in some detail, we came to the agreement that in terms of the test performed, there is no evidence to say that the test centres findings were not justified, no matter how rare it may be that DIN threads with such low and light use fail.

However the way in which the test centre chose not to fully inform me (the customer), of all the options open to me along with falsely giving the impression that the bottle would also have to be destroyed was not in my best interest.

He finished off by saying that IDEST cannot get involved with a business' chosen practices and can only police that testing practices / methods are correctly applied and performed. He did say that he would be including details of this in their monthly news letter / magazine and although he would not be mentioning any names, hopefully, they would recognise the details which might make them look at their ways.. Not convinced but who knows?

So that's it in a nutshell. Take from that what you will... but I know I'll not be giving them anymore of my money.

Bye the way, the IDEST engineer was very helpful and informative. He wanted me to pass on (to those interested), that he welcomes anyone who has any concerns around practices or questions regarding testing of bottles to contact him without hesitation.

His contact details are on the IDEST website ---> https://www.sita.org.uk/idest/
Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
Very useful information, thanks. Worth a new post so it can be made into a sticky.
Knowing how stuff disappears on the web, I've copied and saved as a word document on my PC (including the link)