Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 61 to 66 of 66

Thread: Dive Bottle Test - Short & Curly's?

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    middlesbrough
    Posts
    6,240
    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitslayer View Post
    I thought it obvious...
    Me as well
    LOOKING FOR A AA S200, AA TDR S410 in .22 and a BSA ULTRA IN .22 and .25

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    2,052
    It is re-assuring that the threads on the DIN outlet are checked; it would not be good to have a newly tested cylinder with an inferior DIN outlet.

    Out of interest did the test centre confirm that the cylinder had been passed the inspection, checks and hydraulic pressure test?

    I ask because the IDEST Information Leaflet (SITA/Information Leaflets/Testing Dive Cylinders) states that the valve has to be checked/serviced and the bottled checked/pressure tested. Just wondering if some test centres delay the pressure test until any corrective action to the valve has been agreed with customer. The information leaflet states that when the valve/cylinder are assembled, the cylinder can be stamped up. If they were to return the cylinder only, it may not be stamped (even if tested); which may be prudent as it might subsequently suffer moisture ingress/corrosion if not fully sealed. Just a thought.
    Treat Others As You Would Wish To Be Treated.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Peterborough
    Posts
    425
    Hi, Aimstraight,

    Quote Originally Posted by Aimstraight View Post
    Out of interest did the test centre confirm that the cylinder had been passed the inspection, checks and hydraulic pressure test?
    I ask because the IDEST Information Leaflet (SITA/Information Leaflets/Testing Dive Cylinders) states that the valve has to be checked/serviced and the bottled checked/pressure tested. Just wondering if some test centres delay the pressure test until any corrective action to the valve has been agreed with customer.
    No they didn't. All they confirmed at the time was that 'it' had failed because the DIN threads failed the 'no go' gauge test. Because they didn't mention problems with the bottle, I assumed (possibly wrongly), they had already tested it and that it was fine.

    Surely, they wouldn't get me to pay for a new valve and then test the bottle? What if the bottle then failed? I'd have paid 61.00 for a valve I'd have no use for... That wouldn't make sense unless they'd have expected me to pay for a new bottle as well? A complete, brand new 3 litre 300 bar cylinder set up can be had for around the 140 mark and wouldn't need testing for another 5 years. It just wouldn't be a viable option. The new valve along with the test / service charge came to 91.00 as it is. If you then added the cost of a new replacement bottle I bet I wouldn't have had much change back from 200 notes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aimstraight View Post
    The information leaflet states that when the valve/cylinder are assembled, the cylinder can be stamped up.
    Yes

    Quote Originally Posted by Aimstraight View Post
    If they were to return the cylinder only, it may not be stamped (even if tested); which may be prudent as it might subsequently suffer moisture ingress/corrosion if not fully sealed. Just a thought.
    Yes. I don't think anyone would expect a bottle only (without valve), to be returned and stamped as 'passed'. If they did stamp it, that would leave it open to having the wrong / unsafe valve being fitted and would make the whole IDEST cylinder testing procedure a totally pointless one.

    The point I was trying to make is that the test centre I dealt with was misleading me into thinking that if I didn't pay for the replacement valve, they would have no option but to scrap the whole lot.. hence the opening post was titled 'Short & Curly's

    But we now know this is not the case and there are other options open to customers as mentioned / explained previously in this thread.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    2,052
    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitslayer View Post
    ......No they didn't. All they confirmed at the time was that 'it' had failed because the DIN threads failed the 'no go' gauge test. Because they didn't mention problems with the bottle, I assumed (possibly wrongly), they had already tested it and that it was fine.

    Surely, they wouldn't get me to pay for a new valve and then test the bottle? What if the bottle then failed?......
    My local Dive centre was very busy with lots of bottles lined up for test or/and fill, a compressor was running constantly. It might make more sense for them to do the bottle test after the valve checks, and when that has passed, actually charge for the new valve.

    If they have not confirmed the bottle had passed test, there might be a risk in attempting to take it elsewhere for a new valve and full test....it might fail. To my mind the customer has paid for it, so they should have done it (a second dive centre would need to repeat it and stamp the bottle complete with valve).

    Glad you got a response from SITA.
    Treat Others As You Would Wish To Be Treated.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Exeter
    Posts
    23,347
    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitslayer View Post
    Hi, Aimstraight,


    No they didn't. All they confirmed at the time was that 'it' had failed because the DIN threads failed the 'no go' gauge test. Because they didn't mention problems with the bottle, I assumed (possibly wrongly), they had already tested it and that it was fine.

    Surely, they wouldn't get me to pay for a new valve and then test the bottle? What if the bottle then failed? I'd have paid 61.00 for a valve I'd have no use for... That wouldn't make sense unless they'd have expected me to pay for a new bottle as well? A complete, brand new 3 litre 300 bar cylinder set up can be had for around the 140 mark and wouldn't need testing for another 5 years. It just wouldn't be a viable option. The new valve along with the test / service charge came to 91.00 as it is. If you then added the cost of a new replacement bottle I bet I wouldn't have had much change back from 200 notes.

    The point I was trying to make is that the test centre I dealt with was misleading me into thinking that if I didn't pay for the replacement valve, they would have no option but to scrap the whole lot.. hence the opening post was titled 'Short & Curly's

    But we now know this is not the case and there are other options open to customers as mentioned / explained previously in this thread.
    If the valve thread was U/S that would stop the rest of the tests until you have agreed to fit a new one

    There's no way to complete the tests without changing the valve, so you say "short & curlys" where they will say they've hit a brick wall because without a new valve they can't pressure test the re assembled unit.

    You say they misled you, but you ASSUMED what you did not know & didn't ask direct questions.

    The more I read the more obvious it is to me, that the only issue here is lack of communication skill because you were not talking face to face where things could be properly explained.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    2,052
    Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    .....There's no way to complete the tests without changing the valve, so you say "short & curlys" where they will say they've hit a brick wall because without a new valve they can't pressure test the re assembled unit....
    Am I correct in thinking that the hydraulic test (~ 1.5 times its working pressure) is carried out on the cylinder itself (no valve), then the assembled unit (inc valve) is filled to its working pressure? As you say, the test centre probably call a halt until a resolution is agreed.
    Treat Others As You Would Wish To Be Treated.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •