Thread: Dive Bottle Test - Short & Curly's?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    JerryD is offline Will only use cherry lipbalm
    Rob;

what you're not aware of is that the test centre in question has hit a number of our club members with questionable decisions on bottle testing: one was even told that the handle on his valve had to be changed because it was cracked. It was changed without consulting with the bottle owner: he was not consulted first, just presented with the bill.

That bottles need to be safe is unquestionable: the practice of this test centre is, however. Please don't get into an unneccesary bitchfight with Rabbitslayer over the actions of this test centre - I won't allow the club bottles anywhere near them because of what they have done to club members, and i never recommend them, rather sending people to somewhere further away - or Parwins, when they are available.

This is just our experience: we're not going to argue with them, just not use them.

Last edited by JerryD; 07-07-2018 at 07:53 PM.
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by JerryD View Post
    Rob;

what you're not aware of is that the test centre in question has hit a number of our club members with questionable decisions on bottle testing: one was even told that the handle on his valve had to be changed because it was cracked. It was changed without consulting with the bottle owner: he was not consulted first, just presented with the bill.

That bottles need to be safe is unquestionable: the practice of this test centre is, however. Please don't get into an unneccesary bitchfight with Rabbitslayer over the actions of this test centre - I won't allow the club bottles anywhere near them because of what they have done to club members, and i never recommend them, rather sending people to somewhere further away - or Parwins, when they are available.

This is just our experience: we're not going to argue with them, just not use them.
    For anyone who might still be interested.. I contacted the IDEST chief engineer regarding my experience as per my opening post. In short the outcome was as follows:

Q1. Do the DIN threads form part of the test?

A1. Valve assemblies fixed to the bottles have to be tested. The threads checked are the cylinder threads, valve stem threads and the DIN outlet threads.

Q2. Is it normal in your experience that DIN outlet threads with such little and very careful use fail. Are they that fragile?

A2.No not usually, but we often have problems with tolerances. If a male thread has a low end measurement and the thread gauge has a high end measurement then it will indicate a fail and vice versa. They are not fragile but can be damaged.

Q3.Should the test centre have given me the option to purchase a valve from elsewhere for them to fit free of charge as they would have to refit the valve anyway after disassembly?

A3. Yes most definitely. All options should be made clear to the customer i.e. source their own preferred valve (free fitment) or test centre to supply.

Q4. Given that it was only the valve assembly that failed (DIN outlet threads), is it correct that the centre can withhold the bottle (which is OK) or even scrap it if I do not authorise the valve replacement?

A4. Definitely not. The bottle cannot be withheld by the test centre and should be returned to the customer if this is their wish.

After talking this through in some detail, we came to the agreement that in terms of the test performed, there is no evidence to say that the test centres findings were not justified, no matter how rare it may be that DIN threads with such low and light use fail.

However the way in which the test centre chose not to fully inform me (the customer), of all the options open to me along with falsely giving the impression that the bottle would also have to be destroyed was not in my best interest.

He finished off by saying that IDEST cannot get involved with a business' chosen practices and can only police that testing practices / methods are correctly applied and performed. He did say that he would be including details of this in their monthly news letter / magazine and although he would not be mentioning any names, hopefully, they would recognise the details which might make them look at their ways.. Not convinced but who knows?

So that's it in a nutshell. Take from that what you will... but I know I'll not be giving them anymore of my money.

Bye the way, the IDEST engineer was very helpful and informative. He wanted me to pass on (to those interested), that he welcomes anyone who has any concerns around practices or questions regarding testing of bottles to contact him without hesitation.

His contact details are on the IDEST website ---> https://www.sita.org.uk/idest/

Very useful information, thanks. Worth a new post so it can be made into a sticky.

Quote Originally Posted by rabbitslayer View Post
    For anyone who might still be interested.. I contacted the IDEST chief engineer regarding my experience as per my opening post. In short the outcome was as follows:

A1. Valve assemblies fixed to the bottles have to be tested. The threads checked are the cylinder threads, valve stem threads and the DIN outlet threads.

Q2. Is it normal in your experience that DIN outlet threads with such little and very careful use fail. Are they that fragile?

A2.No not usually, but we often have problems with tolerances. If a male thread has a low end measurement and the thread gauge has a high end measurement then it will indicate a fail and vice versa. They are not fragile but can be damaged.

Q3.Should the test centre have given me the option to purchase a valve from elsewhere for them to fit free of charge as they would have to refit the valve anyway after disassembly?

A3. Yes most definitely. All options should be made clear to the customer i.e. source their own preferred valve (free fitment) or test centre to supply.

Q4. Given that it was only the valve assembly that failed (DIN outlet threads), is it correct that the centre can withhold the bottle (which is OK) or even scrap it if I do not authorise the valve replacement?

A4. Definitely not. The bottle cannot be withheld by the test centre and should be returned to the customer if this is their wish.

After talking this through in some detail, we came to the agreement that in terms of the test performed, there is no evidence to say that the test centres findings were not justified, no matter how rare it may be that DIN threads with such low and light use fail.

However the way in which the test centre chose not to fully inform me (the customer), of all the options open to me along with falsely giving the impression that the bottle would also have to be destroyed was not in my best interest.

He finished off by saying that IDEST cannot get involved with a business' chosen practices and can only police that testing practices / methods are correctly applied and performed. He did say that he would be including details of this in their monthly news letter / magazine and although he would not be mentioning any names, hopefully, they would recognise the details which might make them look at their ways.. Not convinced but who knows?

So that's it in a nutshell. Take from that what you will... but I know I'll not be giving them anymore of my money.

Bye the way, the IDEST engineer was very helpful and informative. He wanted me to pass on (to those interested), that he welcomes anyone who has any concerns around practices or questions regarding testing of bottles to contact him without hesitation.

His contact details are on the IDEST website ---> https://www.sita.org.uk/idest/
    So... Will you be publishing your findings to the shop in question via a proverbial "brick with a note wrapped around it through there front window?"! I'd proverbially be driving a challenger tank with a note taped to the front through there window!!!

Quiet type me
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

Quote Originally Posted by rhyslightnin View Post
    So... Will you be publishing your findings to the shop in question via a proverbial "brick with a note wrapped around it through there front window?"! I'd proverbially be driving a challenger tank with a note taped to the front through there window!!!

Quiet type me
    Tempting.. but, coming from 100% Sicilian stock I'd probably go for a note pinned (with a stiletto blade), to a severed horses head that would be found swinging above the test centre entrance door... but I'm not at all bitter...

Ciao.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Surely, that couldn't be taken as anything other than the overt sarcasm is so obviously was
    I thought it obvious...

I thought it obvious...
    Me as well
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

It is re-assuring that the threads on the DIN outlet are checked; it would not be good to have a newly tested cylinder with an inferior DIN outlet.

Out of interest did the test centre confirm that the cylinder had been passed the inspection, checks and hydraulic pressure test?

I ask because the IDEST Information Leaflet (SITA/Information Leaflets/Testing Dive Cylinders) states that the valve has to be checked/serviced and the bottled checked/pressure tested. Just wondering if some test centres delay the pressure test until any corrective action to the valve has been agreed with customer. The information leaflet states that when the valve/cylinder are assembled, the cylinder can be stamped up. If they were to return the cylinder only, it may not be stamped (even if tested); which may be prudent as it might subsequently suffer moisture ingress/corrosion if not fully sealed. Just a thought.
    Treat Others As You Would Wish To Be Treated.

Tempting.. but, coming from 100% Sicilian stock I'd probably go for a note pinned (with a stiletto blade), to a severed horses head that would be found swinging above the test centre entrance door... but I'm not at all bitter...

Ciao.
    Hahaha!!! Very good.. many ways to skin a cat. I came from a fairly punk background where the word subtle Was a word to be be taken only as a reason to be even more extravert. Brilliant.
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    Very useful information, thanks. Worth a new post so it can be made into a sticky.
    Knowing how stuff disappears on the web, I've copied and saved as a word document on my PC (including the link)