Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: LGV - The AGW "Simple tune" doesn't work for me

Just a quick thought, Mike.

Have you checked that the piston bearings and cocking arm aren't giving drag to the piston ?

I think I'd be putting the original spring back in at this point to get an idea of what's exactly going on.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Vernal View Post
    I'm not sure i know exactly how you measure stoke? I know that the cocking stroke moves the piston back 93mm, so I assumed that is the amount by which it travels forward when released, but is there another way? I will take the piston out again later (now under 2 minutes to do this) and check the piston length.
    Thank you to everyone who has contributed so far, it is all adding greatly to my understanding of the complexities of spring guns.
    nah, that's fine 93mm it is then - which is fine... would defo also check Mick's suggestion as above
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Just a quick thought, Mike.

Have you checked that the piston bearings and cocking arm aren't giving drag to the piston ?

I think I'd be putting the original spring back in at this point to get an idea of what's exactly going on.
    Pretty sure the piston bearing bearing is OK Mick, as the piston now, with Weihrauch seal, pushes along quite easily. Less sure about the cocking arm, which is much harder to check as the stock needs to be replaced to give normal cocking conditions, and is then hard to check. I don't like this system, and I can see that there is some wear along the cocking slot, but if it is a problem why doesn't it show up with the Walther spring and seal in?

Reading another post on here, it just occurred to me to wonder, is there a different spring for a .22 TX? Could I have bought the wrong one by mistake? The one i have does match the AGW article in terms of outside diameter, wire diameter and number of coils, is there an easy way I can check the spring rate?

Quote Originally Posted by Vernal View Post
    Reading another post on here, it just occurred to me to wonder, is there a different spring for a .22 TX? Could I have bought the wrong one by mistake? The one i have does match the AGW article in terms of outside diameter, wire diameter and number of coils, is there an easy way I can check the spring rate?
    nah, they are rthe same, just the top hat varies with calibre...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Thank you, another line gone!

Radical, I know, but if it's shooting nice, you could just leave it alone

(Ok, I'd probably still tickle the port out to 2.9mm - with a reamer, not a twist drill)

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    Radical, I know, but if it's shooting nice, you could just leave it alone

(Ok, I'd probably still tickle the port out to 2.9mm - with a reamer, not a twist drill)
    That does have some appeal, and it certainly is shooting nicely, and with great accuracy at 25 yards, so could be good for bench rest. I shall probably leave the TP until the next article, unless I come across a 2.9mm reamer next time I go to an autojumble.

Just to put this to bed, after an awful lot of faffing about the LGV is now shooting beautifully with a TX spring, exactly as predicted in the article and at 10.6 ft lbs with 36 mmpreload. As might be expected, BTDT correctly diagnosed the problem at the outset, but I was distracted by fitting a 25 mm Weihrauch seal, which was a much better fit but only gave 8.6 ft lbs. With the carefully resized original Walther seal, now an easy finger push, and with a guide made by Mr Bum for my LGU when it was running a TX spring and a new delrin top hat, made on my woodworking lathe using wood turning tools, there is no trace of twang and it feels beautiful.

Grateful thanks to all who offered advice.

Ow, love a happy ending...

Excellent stuff.

That Jim bloke's a bit good, isn't he?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Excellent stuff.

That Jim bloke's a bit good, isn't he?
    Can't thank him enough - he did more than the posts show to help.

Jim is without a doubt Mr Springer---Supreme

he has no heart just a massive spring!!!! joking aside ,
    i am no airgun geek but Jims articles are so interesting and informative,
    thanks Jim for all your work its very much appreciated!!!
    atb Brian