Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Supported pistol shooting

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    bolton
    Posts
    334

    Supported pistol shooting

    Had a nights shooting at rossendale target club last night. Not been for some time, good to see bob and Paul again. Shot supported pistol for the first time and really enjoyed it but not as easy as you would think. Shot better cards at the end free hand but well worth trying. Just like to thank bob and Paul for a great nights shooting.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Rossendale and Formby
    Posts
    4,491
    Quote Originally Posted by XDRIVER View Post
    Had a nights shooting at rossendale target club last night. Not been for some time, good to see bob and Paul again. Shot supported pistol for the first time and really enjoyed it but not as easy as you would think. Shot better cards at the end free hand but well worth trying. Just like to thank bob and Paul for a great nights shooting.
    Thanks Mark,

    It was good to see you at the club last night and we hope to see you again!

    Supported Air Rifle Shooting has re-vitalised our club, as as you know from your .22 rim fire seated bench rest shooting - its is a totally different sport - and VERY addictive.

    The Supported Air Pistol looks like it could be good too - and just like the Supported Air Rifle - the hard (slippery) 50mm bar does take the weight off of the air pistol but it still needs a lot of input from the shooter, and as you discovered, there could even be an argument to say that it is even harder than shooting an air pistol in the regular unsupported way.

    ..having said that, it is 'DIFFERENT" and with practice we may find that it not any harder - it just a needs a different skill set!

    See you soon!

    Bob.
    Rossendale Model Target Club every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Rossendale and Formby
    Posts
    4,491
    Supported Air Pistol Shooting has now joined the clubs late Tuesday night activities to run alongside the recently established Supported Air Rifle Shooting and is proving to be a bit more "tricky" to master than expected.

    In actual fact - nobody has "mastered" it yet, and it is not looking like any of us will in the near future!

    This is a genuine challenge and can be shot in the standing position alongside the Supported Air Rifle Shooting using the same 50mm (maximum diameter) hard bars.

    Well worth a try
    Last edited by zooma; 31-08-2018 at 07:37 PM.
    Rossendale Model Target Club every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    bridgnorth
    Posts
    567

    Supported

    Rink make special adapted grips if anyone is really serious.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Rossendale and Formby
    Posts
    4,491
    Quote Originally Posted by nickm marshall View Post
    Rink make special adapted grips if anyone is really serious.
    We have made our own "resting plates" for the first two pistols we have adapted for Supported Air Pistol Shooting.

    The first was Pauls Walther, and the second was my LP10.

    I used M5 steel screw-in flanged inserts in the base of my LP10 grip so the resting plate can be easily removed and replaced allowing the pistol to be used conventionally if required, but the base of the grip still looks neat and tidy.

    The flanged inserts sit flush to the base of the grip and look quite good when the plate is removed!

    Ray is using the same technique for his Feinwerkbau so we should have a third SAPS pistol ready very soon!
    Rossendale Model Target Club every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Bradford
    Posts
    43
    When I shot supported pistol, I found it was essential to adjust the height of the rest so that the sights aligned correctly as if shooting freehand.

    I managed aome some nice tight groups but noticed that if I pulled a shot it often missed the black, emphasising any errors.

    Great discipline for helping with technique as there is no hiding!!

    Paul

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Rossendale and Formby
    Posts
    4,491
    Quote Originally Posted by Grunalf View Post
    When I shot supported pistol, I found it was essential to adjust the height of the rest so that the sights aligned correctly as if shooting freehand.

    I managed aome some nice tight groups but noticed that if I pulled a shot it often missed the black, emphasising any errors.

    Great discipline for helping with technique as there is no hiding!!

    Paul
    I agree.

    We mount our hard 50mm bars on top of some speaker stands that can be infinitely adjusted for height to get it right.

    This is very good discipline that is still waiting to be discovered (I suspect by most air pistol shooters) but once tried everyone that we have found so far have really enjoyed it and recognised it as being real challenge.
    Rossendale Model Target Club every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •