Thread: Anyone load with PPU Match Bullets?

Anyone load with PPU Match Bullets?

In particular the .224 55gn HPBT and the .30 155gn HPBT.

I suppose I've always snubbed PPU stuff in favour of more expensive offerings from Nosler & Sierra but with an average price of £30 for a box of .224 heads and £50 for a box of .30 heads, I think I'm willing to give PPU a try at literally half the price!

Obviously if they're not consistent I'll go back to what I was using but I'd be interested to hear other peoples experiences with them?

Does half the money get half the quality is what I'm getting at, or are they worth a go?

Cheers
    Greg

I have used the .224 69hpbt ppu match before and they shoot ok, what I did was weigh each bullet and put them in batches by weight and shoot them in groups by weight and still manage to hit the bulls!!

I have always used the PPU 174gn FMJ's in my K31, and they have been fine, granted I'm using iron sights so group size is not one hole....or even close
    You Cannot Reason People Out of Something They Were Not Reasoned Into
    "Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement" Sir Humphry Appleby

PPU heads etc

I use PPU heads for my 6.50 x 55 Swedish Mauser, again with Iron sights, I am happy to get them on a A4 sheet at 100 yards, so they do the job at a very reasonable price.

For my 223 I have always used top makes for cases, but have just purchased 100 PPU cases from Kranks, I will be reloading them this weekend and hopefully trying them next week, It will be interesting.
    I will try to remember to put the results on site.
    6.5 55 SWEDE.223 HOWA VARMINT NIKON 8X32X50 -.22LR CZ STYLE-16" .17 HMR CZ AMERICAN-16" SIMMONS AETEC-12G BERETTA A.302,AYA NO 4,BAIKAL O&U

Depends what your expectations are.
    I can confirm ppu 308 bullets are crapola at 1000 yards.
    The PPU 69 and 75 gn 223 match bullets seem to work reasonably well.
    I have tried the 6.5 120gn match bullets and they were bleeding awful at 600yds.
    If you are okay with 5 moa at 100 yards any ppu/s&b bullet will be fine.
    Similarly if you are shooting fig 11 on an etr range.
    I much prefer to use Lapua scenars bought in 1k boxes.
    69 scenars worked out about £28 a 100 and 155 scenars about £36 a 100.
    But I do shoot 600/800/900/1000 regularly so expect some success.
    The old mantra of " quality bullet through a quality barrel " very much holds true for me!

Quote Originally Posted by mag44uk View Post
    Depends what your expectations are.
    I can confirm ppu 308 bullets are crapola at 1000 yards.
    The PPU 69 and 75 gn 223 match bullets seem to work reasonably well.
    I have tried the 6.5 120gn match bullets and they were bleeding awful at 600yds.
    If you are okay with 5 moa at 100 yards any ppu/s&b bullet will be fine.
    Similarly if you are shooting fig 11 on an etr range.
    I much prefer to use Lapua scenars bought in 1k boxes.
    69 scenars worked out about £28 a 100 and 155 scenars about £36 a 100.
    But I do shoot 600/800/900/1000 regularly so expect some success.
    The old mantra of " quality bullet through a quality barrel " very much holds true for me!
    true, but a lot of folk are not keen on the scenars, due to inconsistancy, dont know, just bought 200 to try, I shoot PPU to 1000, but that is with iron sights and to be honest, I doubt if any other bullet would improve my performance
    "Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement" Sir Humphry Appleby

Thanks for the replies guys.

By the sounds of it they'll be a little bit below my expectations. My .223 & .308 will comfortably group 5 shots 1/2" @ 100m. I do shoot out to 600m with the .223 & 1000m with the .308 so accuracy over distance is important.

It was worth asking, but it sounds like I might be wasting my time trying them!

Cheers
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Thegreg View Post

By the sounds of it they'll be a little bit below my expectations. My .223 & .308 will comfortably group 5 shots 1/2" @ 100m. I do shoot out to 600m with the .223 & 1000m with the .308 so accuracy over distance is important.

It was worth asking, but it sounds like I might be wasting my time trying them!

Cheers
    Greg
    you wont know until you try, and 100 yd performance isnt always a good indicator of 600yds performance, ask anyone who shoots .223 in a strong gusting wind! buy 100 and try them, if they don't work you haven't lost much, if they do then you are quids in!

I think as with many things - the price also reflects the consistency. Will the batch I buy today be the same as the one I buy next week/month/year.

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    Scenars used to be "THE" FTR bullet, but to be fair you would always weigh them anyway.

I have never used PPU match bullets in 7.62 as I am wedded to Optimus HBC as being about the most consistant, well priced 155gr HPBT bullet out there. No doubt when I get my BAR10 I will see what si acceptable for CSR and load accordingly. At 100/200 yards it wont batter much.

As regards the .223. I won a gold in the post 55 SO 100-300 Phoenix this year with their 75gr HPBT at £19 per ton. They were £14 but apparently that was a mistake....Bugger!!

At longer distances, well I am a reasonably good shot when I get the wind right.... I could not tell them from 77gr SMK at 600 and have had soem good results in the Imperial this week

IF your rifle likes them and they are within limits for what you need, they are a good bullet. If they cost £80 per 100 and shoot like shite, find a cheap bullet that works
    Last edited by Parabuteo; 10-07-2018 at 08:48 AM.
    I'm a maggot in another life you know

I guess they're worth a try then next time I do some loading for the .223.

I'll let you all know how I get on!

Cheers
    Greg

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    The only bullet I have used during my FTR time that came anything close to what I would consider match consistent was the Optimus HBC .308 155. A fantastic bullet and still relatively cheap compared with the Bergers and SMKs. My rifle just liked them.

Thankfully with CSR the chances of missing a target are far greater as a result of poor shooting than non BR quality ammo. The top people regularly win with either SS109 or Factory ammo, so for hand loading the basic PPU HPBT and hand weighed/tailored load has an edge almost by default dependant on suitability of any factory ammo to any rifle.

The prices are creeping up but it is still more economical and often better to hand load for an AR if you can.
    I'm a maggot in another life you know