Thread: Hw 57

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Just a thought - ask your friend if the gun was fired with the underlever unlatched i.e. not fully clipped home. It could in such a case have struck the foresight assembly with enough force to bend the (slim) barrel upwards. I bought an HW57 from this forum which an idiot had repeatedly abused in this fashion but it took me a while to work it out. Look for impact marks on the underside of the foresight assembly which correspond to the grooves on the underlever release catch. Also, try holding a good steel rule edge-on on top of the compression tube (take care not to scratch the metalwork) and out over the barrel - look for a slight slope upwards. Stripping the gun and examining the bore for straightness might be a good idea if the foregoing checks give you enough to go on.

The gun wasn't fired with the under lever down and I've checked the barrel and it's straight. I've taken apart the compression chamber assembly and noticed that the spring was bent at one end. (see pictures). I straightened the spring so its as near perfect as I can get. I understand it needs a little grease inside but not too much, so I was thinking of re assembling it and trying the pellets suggested.

The breech washer looks good and so does the barrel one. Everything apart from the O ring looks OK on the pop up breech.

Inside the compression chamber was the spring, a plastic tube with a rim around the end and a large metal tube with a rod in the centre with a hook type arrangement on the end. It doesn't look particularly complicated as there aren't that many moving parts.

Robert

http://tinypic.com/r/21lj045/9

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=21lj045&s=9

Hi, I wouldn't put the bent spring back, it will only go again. Also I would be surprised if it was the cause of the poor accuracy. Was it consistent over the chrono? Clean the barrel and try different pellets. Finally, I am intrigued to see a picture of the thumb hole stock, never heard of a custom stock on a 57.

Regards Max
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Piston seal ! there I said it.
    I have had two guns in last six months who whent from very accurate to not so, suddenly.
    And the piston seal had small marks in one and the other had a massive knick in it.

If the groups are up and down or could be power of all over the place seal or scope.
    Scorpion. 177 hornet. 177 txhc. 177 s200. 177 97. 177 99.177 95. 22 80. 22 vulcan. 22 excorcet. 22
    Trying hard to keep it down to 10 rifles.

Hi Max

There are what looks like 'gouges' on the front of the white piston seal. I don't know what might have caused them or if they would have any effect, but I think its time to renew the seal and spring. It doesn't make sense to put damaged parts back. What I need is to buy the bits and pieces to replace them and find out where to buy them.

dayglowfroggy

I have taken pictures of the thumb hole and piston seal, but I haven't got 'attachments' enabled so I can't attach them to this post.

If there are any moderators reading this, would you mind enabling 'attachments' for me so I can show the other readers my thumb hole stock please?
    Alternatively, if anyone can give me the name of a mod or admin, I will contact them directly to request attachments.

Robert

Hi Robert, the pictures you put links to earlier in the thread worked fine so may be you could do the same again? Definitely replace the damaged piston seal and don't over lubricate as this will cause dieseling and result in poor accuracy.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Pictures of thumb hole stock and piston seal

Hi Max

Here are some pictures of my HW57 and one of the piston seal. The gun is nice to have just for looks alone, but it would be the icing on the cake if I could hit something with it.

Robert

If you leave things to the last minute, they only take a minute.