Thread: Shipping a scope from the USA to the UK.

barrel is offline Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do

Shipping a scope from the USA to the UK.

Just a quick question regarding the above. There seems to be a number of restrictions in place that mean companies cannot ship scopes to the UK above a certain magnification. Do these restrictions apply to private individuals or can they ship what they want?. Many thanks if you can help.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    IF I WALKED ON WATER PEOPLE WOULD SAY I COULD NOT SWIM !

I might be right, but I think the restriction is on the seller/exporter. To sell beyond 4x scope mag they need a licence to do so.

Ideally you need to look for a company with the right export licence, but even then I'd be cautious. If a private individual sends you something then it needs to be marked as a gift. Some other paper work may well be necessary in the US to make sure it can pass through customs, but even then it might get delayed or even rejected.

There is also the VAT look out too which you will probably have to pay regardless.
    https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/gifts

It isn't clear but I'd stick to companies with an export licence.

This thread here is 2015 but has some useful info.

https://www.thestalkingdirectory.co....p/t-97292.html

If the vendor ships (and many ebayers do) then that's all you need to care about. It's a stupid law and many ignore it, but it's their business not yours.

Yes at worst you may have to pay VAT and Duty and any handling charge applied in the UK.
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

barrel is offline Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do
    Quote Originally Posted by air-tech View Post
    If the vendor ships (and many ebayers do) then that's all you need to care about. It's a stupid law and many ignore it, but it's their business not yours.

Yes at worst you may have to pay VAT and Duty and any handling charge applied in the UK.
    Thanks everyone for some really useful information. I don't uuppose anyone knows at what value dollar wise you start paying duty?. Do you pay VAT regardless of the items value?.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    IF I WALKED ON WATER PEOPLE WOULD SAY I COULD NOT SWIM !

There are thresholds, look them up, below which it's not worth them charging because presumably the admin costs more.
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

Quote Originally Posted by barrel View Post
    Just a quick question regarding the above. There seems to be a number of restrictions in place that mean companies cannot ship scopes to the UK above a certain magnification. Do these restrictions apply to private individuals or can they ship what they want?. Many thanks if you can help.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    You could try Brownells UK.. they ship from American soil, they are expensive but if your ordering from uk skipping the hassle of import duty and having somewhere to return it to is worth a bit I think.
    Rhys
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

I think £18 is when you get charged for VAT? I've always been hit for VAT and a 'handling charge' on the scopes I've imported.

I also see SWFA have resumed exporting to the U.K.

/goes off to check the value of the pound to the dollar.