Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is this Webley Stingray a 'Brummie' Mk1 or Not?

^ ^ ^ Like X 2!!

Cheers, Dave
    "Sometimes you fall down because there is something down there that you are supposed to find"

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Definitely there were some weird hybrids made in Turkey during the early period after Webley folded. I’ve seen pics of an “Omega” that was actually a Longbow or Tomahawk, but made up with an “Omega” marked cylinder, for example (and the Omega had ceased production over ten years earlier).

So I tend to agree with your half dozen industry sources. Brum Webley parts, final assembly and cylinder finish at Hatsan, circa 2007-08.
    Yes, I had an exocet, in a Stingray stock with a phosphate finish, Birmingham parts Turkish assembly.

Stingray.

Had a few stingrays over the years and the bluing on the cylinder as never been the same as the likes of a longbow or Tommy for some reason. The Stingray Express does however have wonderful bluing. Mach 1.5

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post

Great detective work, which has added to the collective knowledge of the bbs.
    ... and again, this ^^^^ top sleuthing Dave, and good skittles.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Many years ago I bought a secondhand SFS tuned Webley Stingray custom T from a gun shop in Bournemouth, the story goes that SFS wanted to get one up on Venom at the time and they had a custom stocks CS600 Tyrolean stock kicking about in the shop that was supposed to be for a Webley Vulcan, Tony tried the newly released Stingray action into the stock and it fitted, thus making the Stingray custom T and bringing out a custom Stingray before Venom did, anyway the rifle had the flat top breech (for open sight mounting) a lovely blacked silencer and deeply blued barrel but a rather horrid grey cylinder that let the looks of the rifle down, so I'd say yours could be a Brum made rifle.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Thanks, Gareth! ; thanks, Pete - Great / interesting story!

Cheers, Dave.

Edit / PS: [With permission] Please note that Tony Wall is the local gunsmith who verified that my Stingray is a 'Brummie'.
    Last edited by Gabby Hayes; 11-07-2018 at 08:40 AM.
    "Sometimes you fall down because there is something down there that you are supposed to find"

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabby Hayes View Post

Edit / PS: [With permission] Please note that Tony Wall is the local gunsmith who verified that my Stingray is a 'Brummie'.
    If my old friend Tony says it is Kosher, then that is good enough for me.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    An old thread which I only just discovered but I appear to be heading for a similar situation !

Birmingham made ot Turkish Stingray ?
    “An airgun or two”………

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    An old thread which I only just discovered but I appear to be heading for a similar situation !

Birmingham made ot Turkish Stingray ?
    If the Turkish one is the Hatsan styled one (I'm not sure if any Brum Stingray parts made it over to Turkey like what happened to the Longbows), if it's the Stingray 2 with the Hatsan trigger, then they are different beasts in my eyes, I looked at a Turkish Stingray and it handled completely different than the Brum ones, I'd say the Hatsan trigger may be better than the Brum one but I just don't think they are anything like each other.
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    If the Turkish one is the Hatsan styled one (I'm not sure if any Brum Stingray parts made it over to Turkey like what happened to the Longbows), if it's the Stingray 2 with the Hatsan trigger, then they are different beasts in my eyes, I looked at a Turkish Stingray and it handled completely different than the Brum ones, I'd say the Hatsan trigger may be better than the Brum one but I just don't think they are anything like each other.
    Yes thats the sort of thing I'm discovering as I read up on the situation.
    My gut feeling is that it could be a Mk. 1 but you never know ?
    “An airgun or two”………

From earlier threads, Stingray No.914123 was one of 97 Stingray barrels consecutively roll stamped on 22.8.2003. That of course does not necessarily mean the rifle was assembled on that date. So that rifle would therefore be a Birmingham Stingray.

Quote Originally Posted by slug-gun View Post
    From earlier threads, Stingray No.914123 was one of 97 Stingray barrels consecutively roll stamped on 22.8.2003. That of course does not necessarily mean the rifle was assembled on that date. So that rifle would therefore be a Birmingham Stingray.
    Thanks for the info. I'll check the s/n when I visit RFD.
    “An airgun or two”………

nishijin is offline They dare not speak his name in hushed tones
    I should list my .22 Birmingham Stingray up for sale. Didn’t realise people were buying them.

For what little it's worth at this point, I used to own a very late-build Beeman C1 carbine, based on the Series 3 Vulcan action with wide ribbed trigger, etc. Its receiver tube had the toned-down "tumbled' (?) finish. I have no pics unfortunately, but I recall it was just as beautiful and consistent as any other Webley blueing, and the non-glare aspect seemed appropriate for a hunting gun.

It shot VERY hard, and sounds like it might have been rather rare to boot! One of many I regret selling over the years.

There was also a limited run of the C1 carbine but it was actually an Excel action sat in the C1 stock . Probably rarer than the original Beeman .