Thread: Is this Webley Stingray a 'Brummie' Mk1 or Not?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Is this Webley Stingray a 'Brummie' Mk1 or Not?

Hi again, 'guys'! I am trying to authenticate a supposed Webley Stingray, Mk1, pre 2006 [Cal .22], that I purchased last Monday [02-07-2018], after going through a check-list of items to help me authenticate the piece, as to it's country of origin / completion [England vs Turkey].

I've spoken to half a dozen Gunsmiths / Retailers [plus 'Chambers Gun Spares']; along with reading up on a couple of airgun forums, including AirgunBBS, in particular the thread: "The Webley & Scott Vulcan Air Rifle - A Vox-Pop History"; and others.

What I came up with before I made the purchase has since been brought into question - what I initially 'discovered' was:

• The serial number is apparently, a.) Of 'Brummie' Webley format - 914123, to be precise; and, b.) Lower [in number] than that of a Stingray which was reported on this site, to be a Brummie.
    • "WEBLEY & SCOTT LTD, BIRMINGHAM ENGLAND" is engraved on the LH side of the 'breach block'
    • The 'Moderator' & front sight seem right.
    • The trigger is 'two'-staged.
    • The rear sight seems right.
    • The stock seams to conform.
    • The barrel bluing is brilliant - second to none.
    • "WEBLEY STINGRAY" is quite heavily stamped on the LH side of the 'Cylinder', with no 'paint'.

Which brings me to the only 'stickler' that I have found, so far: The Cylinder [and breech block] finish is a 'smooth / not shiny', mid-greyish colour. This has thrown three Gunsmith / Retailers [plus Chambers] into animated 'reaction' more or less saying that, as far as they know, "Without the famous 'Webley Bluing', maybe parts of it were made in this country; but it certainly was not totally completed in the UK".

That is until yesterday [07-07-2018] morning, when one Gunsmith*** said that he thought certain Stingrays had been "Parkerized" [or similar]; and, for sure he remembers seeing Xocets that definitely were.

I'm asking about this as I purchased it as a collectable / useable air rifle, so if it is not authentic, I will most likely be returning it to the guy that sold it to me [£!70.00]. Btw, it 'points / shoots' really well; and looks like it has never been used ['brown grease' at 'mechanically functioning points' / styrofoam beads along the spring in the 'cocking slot' and next to the rear-sight adjustment screw].

Your opinion(s) will be appreciated.

Cheers, Dave

PS: I'm not allowed to post attachments, yet - the pics show it all.

*** Edit / Update: 'Alan' [very 'down-to-earth-guy'] Bagnall and Kirkwood, Newcastle Upon Tyne [no affiliation].
    Last edited by Gabby Hayes; 11-07-2018 at 09:08 AM.