Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HW 99 cocking problem

HW 99 cocking problem

Bought a hw99 a few days ago had about 50shot and it's gone very stiff and grindy. Can anyone help me correct this problem please

Quote Originally Posted by mad man View Post
    Bought a hw99 a few days ago had about 50shot and it's gone very stiff and grindy. Can anyone help me correct this problem please
    Hi Mad man
    Did you buy the gun new??, if so take it back to the gun shop and have them sort it out for you.
    The problem sounds like the articulated cocking link,it's a problem on some of the 99s guns,my one doesn't have this problem.
    Les..

This has been well documented over the years.

Search out HW99 galling issues and you'll find plenty of information on this subject.

Once stripped, you'll generally see which areas will need attention in terms of smoothing out.

Is it a later one with the plastic insert in the cocking lever? If so, many remove the spring from below it.

Generally you'll need to remove a slight amount from the upper side of the cocking lever, fit a plastic insert so it stands just proud to avoid metal to metal contact (unless already fitted), smooth off the "horn" or "shoe" of the cocking lever and lubricate or open out the "knuckle" of the joint. Then some moly grease or paste.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Yes it was bought new a few days ago

I wouldn’t mess around with it then, as anything you do may invalidate the warranty. Simply take it back and let them sort it out for you.
    People said smile things could get worse, so I smiled and they did!

In which case, it's really up to you for the next course of action.

Refund or exchange will be available.

But if you don't mind a little tinkering and fettling, it's sortable and will result in a beautiful lightweight rifle with very refined firing characteristics and super accuracy. This would invalidate the warranty, but they're such a simple and strong thing that it would be highly unlikely that anything ever went wrong anyway.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

To be fair over the year I have had every hw Springer apart from the hw98 and this is the first one to have a problem.

I don't mind doing a bit of tinkering but with it being so new think I am going to take it back and see what they say

An issue I had with my new '99 was the delrin runner on the cocking linkage - It was very slightly too thick and it was binding up during cocking. I removed it and sanded off a few thou from the last inch. Now it works a treat...

Quote Originally Posted by whipsaw View Post
    An issue I had with my new '99 was the delrin runner on the cocking linkage - It was very slightly too thick and it was binding up during cocking. I removed it and sanded off a few thou from the last inch. Now it works a treat...
    Common on the 99 and an issue the importer is well aware of. Truth is they know most get stripped and payed with for the most part so the issue continues to be avoided and few warranty claims will get made. I feel for the buyers who were not aware, when those who own them convince them its the rifle to have.
    When sorted its a fine rifle though.
    B.A.S.C. member

If it’s only a few days old, I would take it back to the shop and get them to fix or replace it. Chances are, though, that any replacement will likely have the same problem.

I needed to do a bit of fiddling around to get mine to work properly but it came good in the end.

We shouldn’t need to do this to a brand new gun.

Alternatively, take it back to the shop and ask for a discount on the basis that it is faulty and you will need to spend time and money to get it fixed.

Is it the little pin or the big one that needs knocking out on the cocking arm

Is it the little pin or the big one that needs knocking out on the cocking arm
    Dont take it back. They will not fix it and you will be without your gun for weeks. Strip the gun.Punch out the pin holding the delrin strip in place. ( it needs a hard belt brace it and then do it even harder) remove the spring and throw it away as far as you can. Replace the delrin strip and that is half the job done. Remove the cocking foot from the action and have a good look at it.You will see that it is very poorly finished with lots of edges and corners. Get some 400 grit wet and dry and polish that foot like a ball bearing finish. it is that foot being pulled up hard against the inside of the cylinder by the delrin spring that is causing the grinding on the cocking stroke and the return stroke. it does not need a spring. Check that the knuckle in the articulated cocking lever is not stiff. if it is gently tap a thin screwdriver to widen it slightly and grease it. give the gun a quick fettle, well you may as well and thats it. Reasemble, job done. First time an hour from then on half an hour. Its no good sending it back.Lots of people have tried that it just comes back with grease all over the place still galling. This is a permanent fix. PS way up the pin that holds the delrin in and attack it from the thinnest end.

Stripped the gun rubbed all the bers of the cocking shoe re built it and it was ok got 5 shots now back to grinding...... going to have to strip it again and remove the spring as just said thanks for the help

Aha, so you've gone for the "fettle route"?

Have fun, do as described above; you'll get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Telephonepete View Post
    Dont take it back. They will not fix it and you will be without your gun for weeks. Strip the gun.Punch out the pin holding the delrin strip in place. ( it needs a hard belt brace it and then do it even harder) remove the spring and throw it away as far as you can. Replace the delrin strip and that is half the job done. Remove the cocking foot from the action and have a good look at it.You will see that it is very poorly finished with lots of edges and corners. Get some 400 grit wet and dry and polish that foot like a ball bearing finish. it is that foot being pulled up hard against the inside of the cylinder by the delrin spring that is causing the grinding on the cocking stroke and the return stroke. it does not need a spring. Check that the knuckle in the articulated cocking lever is not stiff. if it is gently tap a thin screwdriver to widen it slightly and grease it. give the gun a quick fettle, well you may as well and thats it. Reasemble, job done. First time an hour from then on half an hour. Its no good sending it back.Lots of people have tried that it just comes back with grease all over the place still galling. This is a permanent fix. PS way up the pin that holds the delrin in and attack it from the thinnest end.

I have just done what you said removed the spring polished the cocking foot and and I am still getting the grinding on closing the barrel