Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HW 99 cocking problem

Quote Originally Posted by mad man View Post
    Stripped the gun rubbed all the bers of the cocking shoe re built it and it was ok got 5 shots now back to grinding...... going to have to strip it again and remove the spring as just said thanks for the help
    dont forget to check the foot again as the grinding may have roughed it up again. This fault is brought about by the Gun heating up under a sustained plinking session. it would be quite possible for a hunter who just takes say a dozen shots per outing to be completely oblivious to the fact that the gun had a problem. it usualy starts after about 30 continuous shots. if you leave the gun for a while it goes away as the gun cools and then comes back. if you can get to 50 shots without the problem you are probably ok. I have recently been informed of one of mine that i fixed and later sold that it was galling after about 70 shots. I think it is one that i smoothed the foot but left the spring in place as an experiment. It is rare for me to plink for 70 shots. Usually i have changed guns by then. So it would seem that it is essential to remove the spring and smooth the foot.

Tony.T is offline For vicious attack Pasties, 177, 22 or 12bore?
    I have just done what you said removed the spring polished the cocking foot and and I am still getting the grinding on closing the barrel
    There's so many ways to tackle this!

I tried all of the above as you have with no difference. In the end I stripped the rifle and removed the mainspring. Then I could slowly cock it whilst observing what was happening. Guess what- it was obvious. On my rifle the articulated link wasn't working and was pressed hard against the cylinder- that's where the galling was occurring.

All I did was glue a little bit of bicycle inner tube rubber (very useful stuff btw ) just adjacent to the start of the cocking slot. This allowed the link to articulate. Job done- no problems ever since.- Oh. the spin off is it makes cocking a tad quieter!
    video transferred to DVD, USB etc. Old negs and photos scanned to digital media
    www.digitalconversions.co.uk

Also check that the knuckle area is not dragging. There will be witness marks if it is. Maybe also worth reducing the Delrin strip a tad.

Have you applied moly paste / grease to all contact areas, including the "foot" and the internal of the cylinder?

Breech shims lubed and pivot bolt not overtight?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

I have just done what you said removed the spring polished the cocking foot and and I am still getting the grinding on closing the barrel
    checked the knuckle joint? If you havnt already done this.Remove the stock and in the uncocked state with a lolly stick force some moli grease either side of the cocking slot for the full length of the slot. I have done about a dozen of these and it is not just my method it is the generally accepted method of fixing the dreaded galling. think it through. The very stiff spring is pushing the lever away from the action. in doing so it is pulling the cocking foot hard down against the inside of the action either side of the cocking slot in a pinching fashion. If you strip the gun and shine a torch inside you will see two heavy scoring marks either side of the slot. This is the damage caused by the galling. Its not important but it cant carry on. Shauny advocates taking a small amount off the delrin. i have not done this myself. It may be an idea to pm shauny and involve him.

Quote Originally Posted by Telephonepete View Post
    checked the knuckle joint? If you havnt already done this.Remove the stock and in the uncocked state with a lolly stick force some moli grease either side of the cocking slot for the full length of the slot. I have done about a dozen of these and it is not just my method it is the generally accepted method of fixing the dreaded galling. think it through. The very stiff spring is pushing the lever away from the action. in doing so it is pulling the cocking foot hard down against the inside of the action either side of the cocking slot in a pinching fashion. If you strip the gun and shine a torch inside you will see two heavy scoring marks either side of the slot. This is the damage caused by the galling. Its not important but it cant carry on. Shauny advocates taking a small amount off the delrin. i have not done this myself. It may be an idea to pm shauny and involve him.

Well I have made things worse . I thought the cocking arm sounded like it was running on where the first stock bolt goes in so I have rubbed the cocking arm down and it got worse . Going to order a new cocking arm tonight if any of you kind gentlemen would like to fix this problem I will pay someone as after tonight I am pulling my hair out at it

Well I have made things worse . I thought the cocking arm sounded like it was running on where the first stock bolt goes in so I have rubbed the cocking arm down and it got worse . Going to order a new cocking arm tonight if any of you kind gentlemen would like to fix this problem I will pay someone as after tonight I am pulling my hair out at it
    which bit of the cocking arm have you rubbed down?

Grind half a mm off the delrin strip and put a screwdriver in the front joint and give a few 'taps' with a hammer to loosen I, then use a Dremel and really round out the cocking foot edges that make contact with the inside of the cylinder And I'm sure it will be buttery smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony.T View Post

I tried all of the above as you have with no difference. In the end I stripped the rifle and removed the mainspring. Then I could slowly cock it whilst observing what was happening. Guess what- it was obvious. On my rifle the articulated link wasn't working and was pressed hard against the cylinder- that's where the galling was occurring.
    That’s more or less what I did except I didn’t remove the main spring. But it was obvious where it was rubbing as I slowly cocked it. I had to grind off a couple of sharp corners from the cocking lever knuckle and sand off some of the Delrin insert.

Go easy on the delrin, though. Just a little at a time - always checking.

Good luck.