Thread: HW97 abt

HW97 abt

Am I correct in thinking that my 97 with the abt fitted shouldn't be able to be de-cocked? The reason I ask is that I have just come to test it out and with it cocked and the under-lever open with the safety switched to enable the gun to fire I can de-cock it.
    The gun is used so if I do have a problem I'll need to rectify it myself.

Correct. Sound like someone has removed it to me. IIRC its only a trigger block and not an actual ABT setup like the TX, so as long as you keep your finger off the trigger when cocking it, it does the same job.

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    Just checked my toolbox and I have a spare one if you want it??
    Master Debater

The mechanism is still in situ so I'm worried if it's damaged. When I say the mechanism I mean the two strips of metal with a spring that run towards the trigger along the cocking slot held in place by a bolt with a washer that sits in the top piece.
    Could it be fitted incorrectly? How can I tell if it's engaging correctly when opening the cocking arm (unstocked)? I've tried adjusting the trigger to see if this makes a difference but it doesn't.
    Murphy, thanks for your kind offer but I'll try and fix it or fit it correctly before I take you up on it.

Check the spacer is in place. It prevents the fixing bolt crushing the two slides together.

If you have the stock off and have the action clamped in a padded vice, just release the u/l and raise it a tad as though to cock it. You should see the atb slide do just that ... slide a tad towards the trigger block. When operating, the atb is just pulled / slides such that the end slides under the trigger to prevent the trigger operating. As you return the u/l the atb is pulled back, but by then the safety will be operating.
    I assume the small spring is still there?
    Cheers, Phil

Thank you everone for your advice and offers.
    I have been awake since the early hours with it on my mind so I got up to have a closer look. On initial inspection it seemed ok so as Phil advised I checked for it sliding but there was no movement, so I took it apart and found a proud spot which I smoothed out and all is fine now.

Quote Originally Posted by gtfreight View Post
    Thank you everone for your advice and offers.
    I have been awake since the early hours with it on my mind so I got up to have a closer look. On initial inspection it seemed ok so as Phil advised I checked for it sliding but there was no movement, so I took it apart and found a proud spot which I smoothed out and all is fine now.
    I just take them off and chuck them, Garry --- job done.

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    I just take them off and chuck them, Garry --- job done.
    If it fails again I'll do that Mick.
    Enjoy your break and we'll see you and Shirl in September.

Quote Originally Posted by gtfreight View Post
    If it fails again I'll do that Mick.
    Enjoy your break and we'll see you and Shirl in September.
    I'm back home now Garry.

I took the anti bear traps straight out of my two MK2 77s when I got them thirty two years ago --- so far, no problems.