Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transfer port sleeving

Transfer port sleeving

After reading the excellent thread by mick regarding the rebuilding of an SMK B2, I thought I may have a try at altering the transfer port diameter.
    I have a couple of questions.

Would it be better to sleeve the whole length of the transfer port as in diagram A?

Would there be any benefit in tapering the opening with a centre drill as in B?

Would it be better reducing the length of the sleeve to 16mm like some of the other rifles as in C?

Your thoughts

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    full length, straight through. you want to limit lost volume
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

That b2 is already sleeved. I drilled it 4.5mm x 26mm dp to the shoulder, so about 3mm of original tp left and inserted 0.6mm wall thickness brass tube. As the b2 tp is angular, it saved faffing about with the squareness of the front faces.

Personally I'd radius the inlet side, otherwise the sharp edged entry will cause a vena contracta.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

I always do "B".

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Personally I'd radius the inlet side, otherwise the sharp edged entry will cause a vena contracta.
    A what Rich ?
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynB View Post
    A what Rich ?
    I'm guessing but I think it means that there will be a central area of the port which will flow air cleanly, and a layer on the periphery which will have stagnant or turbulent air. You can see this happening with people walking down the connecting tunnels at Bank underground station. Those walking in the middle will be going fast while those closer to the walls will be slower. Smoothing the edges of the port mean that the air will travel closer to the edge at the same speed, unlike the people in Tube stations. It was a poor analogy and it broke down soon after takeoff.

There is always a turbulent boundary layer at the periphery of the transfer port; putting a radius into the inlet reduces the boundary layer's depth.

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalBee View Post
    That b2 is already sleeved. I drilled it 4.5mm x 26mm dp to the shoulder, so about 3mm of original tp left and inserted 0.6mm wall thickness brass tube. As the b2 tp is angular, it saved faffing about with the squareness of the front faces.
    Thank you for that information.
    I was thinking of sleeving it down further and maybe changing the piston seal.
    Won't be doing anything yet. Working on another project as my time permits.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    You can see this happening with people walking down the connecting tunnels at Bank underground station. Those walking in the middle will be going fast while those closer to the walls will be slower. Smoothing the edges of the port mean that the air will travel closer to the edge at the same speed, unlike the people in Tube stations.
    As someone who passes through this mess several times a week, I'd suggest you are confusing Brownian smoke motion with fluid dynamics. There is nothing fluid about the flow through bank station...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil54 View Post
    After reading the excellent thread by mick regarding the rebuilding of an SMK B2,
    Hi

Got a link to the thread you speak of please?...couldn't find it

Thank you for that information.
    I was thinking of sleeving it down further and maybe changing the piston seal.
    Won't be doing anything yet. Working on another project as my time permits.
    No problem Neil

As I didn't have the means to manufacture an insert, I used stock tube size, but I think it would benefit from going smaller.

Wikipedia Vena Contracta

Vena contracta
    Vena contracta is the point in a fluid stream where the diameter of the stream is the least, and fluid velocity is at its maximum, such as in the case of a stream issuing out of a nozzle,.. It is a place where the cross section area is minimum. The maximum contraction takes place at a section slightly downstream of the orifice, where the jet is more or less horizontal.

wikipedia Brownian Motion

Brownian motion
    Brownian motion or pedesis is the random motion of particles suspended in a fluid resulting from their collision with the fast-moving molecules in the fluid.

Brownian motion
    Brownian motion or pedesis is the random motion of particles suspended in a fluid resulting from their collision with the fast-moving molecules in the fluid.
    yup, that's the one... fast moving commuters & slow moving tourists... all random, and lots of collisions