Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Collectors Of The Future

I don't suggest that MAC-1 steroid guns will be collectable in the future, instead, I think it's a clear fact. What makes me say this is that one of the driving forces in vintage American airguns has always been how well the gun shoots. A great example of this is the Crosman model 160: by far, the most valuable model of the 3 main types is that last one, for the simple reason it has a much improved trigger.

When it comes to shooting, the Crosman/Sheridan guns with MAC-1 mods outshine anything else when it comes down to the basics of shooting. These will be even more desirable in the future. Heaven forbid, but if MAC-1 ever closes shop...... buy up every Steroid you can get your hands on.

I don't think future collectors will have too much trouble picking out the wheat from the chaff.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Cornelius View Post
    This is true, you see this in bikes where 60s bikes are maybe now not so popular but 80s sports bikes are definitely “classics” (and if I see a nice early Fireblade in the urban tiger paint job , I’m having it!)

But if you collect what you like or admire, who cares if there will be a market? It’ll only be my wife selling them after I’m gone (fill yer boots lads, cos she thinks I paid a lot less than I did )
    It's madness out there! People are collecting things like the Honda CX500, one of the most 'derided' bikes of its time (a.k.a. the plastic maggot), and even my old learner bike the Yamaha RS100 is going for £1000 in very used condition. I took one look at that and bought an old 3.5 V6 car for £850, I mean, old doesn't mean you forget about value for money....

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    This is a very 'transactional' way of looking at collecting, isn't it? You only live once and by realising the value of your guns in your lifetime, you've sacrificed the pleasure of ownership while you're alive! The phrase cutting off your nose to spite your face springs to mind.

My generation probably seemed to have a rather 'disposable' plastics-based culture to my grandparents, who grew up in a 'make do and mend' age, but it didn't stop me appreciating blued steel and walnut. :-)
    I did say that was one reason for selling up, the other was that after an expensive divorce I was left with a empty house and selling my collection was a way of raising funds. I see what you are saying, collecting is a personal hobby and shouldn't be done for future value. Though I wouldn't like to think that my factory fresh Webley mk1 that I sold for £600 would eventually be worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by peddy View Post
    I did say that was one reason for selling up, the other was that after an expensive divorce I was left with a empty house and selling my collection was a way of raising funds. I see what you are saying, collecting is a personal hobby and shouldn't be done for future value. Though I wouldn't like to think that my factory fresh Webley mk1 that I sold for £600 would eventually be worthless.
    Yes, raising funds is a good reason for selling, of course. I did it myself when I was about 19 - sold off most of my 'first' collection. But I do have regrets. Among guns that went to auction were a pristine - and I mean pristine - Airsporter Mk1. I couldn't bear to sell the Webley Mk2 Service though - I still have it now, 35 years odd later.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Place in history

Guys,

I am new to the antique / vintage air gun world. Although I only have a few rifles & pistols, I am amazed at the sense of history with these old air guns. Some over a hundred years old and still relatively accessible. I think people, and the younger generation will still appreciate these usable beautiful pieces and their connection to time and history.

Finding a standard mk3 tx200 that has not been tinkered with might a future classic ,)

Quote Originally Posted by peddy View Post
    Unfortunately I think we are the last generation of collectors.
    I think not However I do believe the number of collectors will diminish as has been said already on here.

I’m in my twenties and other than my 1 modern Rifle I love my 80’s and 90’ SSPs, they hold a sentimental value that in my eyes outweighs the cost. To be honest I didn’t mean to start out as a “collector” but we all know how that goes...
    Slightly obsessed with Single Stroke Pneumatics
    Also making stocks over at Daviesbuilt gunstocks.

First, there is no new supply of previous makes and models. Secondly, there is a feeling of history when handling a rifle/pistol of yesteryear and more so when that model is in good condition and works well. Thirdly, well known makes with a reputation will remain collectors' items and that especially applies to British made and also German models - known for their quality. However, I cannot see Turkish and Chinese rifles and pistols becoming of interest to collectors and that includes the Webleys now made in Turkey - a disgrace to the manufacturing history of that name in this country. Fifthly, nostalgia is a factor in collecting - there seem to be many here who have bought again rifles and pistols that they sold many years ago, wishing they had kept them, and I am an example.

The question is whether there will be so many shooters in the future, with an interest in such things.

I have just sold a 1989 Daystate Huntsman to a very decent fellow, here, for £250. Probably, that was a little cheap but he did mention, when I phoned him to ascertain whether he was satisfied with his purchase, that he thought the quality of the older Daystates to be better than the new. There we are: so many say that of the springers too! I have not previously read much about PCPs becoming collectors' pieces but it has to start eventually and perhaps it already has. There is not much by way of guidance in terms of selling prices and I shall probably regret selling mine but never used it and prefer to use these things.

Look at the price that Giffords fetch - and these are problematic to use but command top dollar.

The existence of sites like this make an enormous difference. I have just started collecting and my knowledge base has risen massively as a result (but is modest compared to regular contributors here) and my Omega, Longbow, FWB 127 and 1923 Standard are all due to comments and sentiments I read here. Thanks chaps!

A

There will be plenty of collectors in the future.
    The four necessities are:
    Desposable income.
    Space to store (people are living in flats rather than houses.)
    Somewhere to shoot; back garden even.
    Sites like this to give the banter and shared interest.

Have those and the future looks good.

Do expect a change in taste. Fashions change. Pre War might be taken over by "the first pcp's", or mint rifles of the 80's. Or Airsoft is where the action is?? Where the fashion goes is anyone's guess.