Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pistol choice

Pistol choice

I am looking for a pistol for Target shooting, a bit of fun and plinking at the local range. I am very new to this sport so slightly bemused by the
    Array of styles, types etc available. Below is a basic criteria, I would appreciate a short list of what to look at.

1. Budget up to £300
    2. Not really looking for a spring load, would prefer CO2 or PCP
    3. 1.77 calibre

Any advice appreciated

Cheap , you won't go wrong with a CP1 CO2 pistol .
    Reasonable money you could look at Rohm pistols , both in CO2 and PCP.
    Excellent value and accuracy .
    I picked up a nice Rohm PCP with 3 mags and single shot adapter for £200
    SMK pp700 are available for around £150, don't be worried about it being SMK.
    £300 and your choice widens .
    Things to consider ;
    Single shot or multi shot ,
    Type and size of grip
    What type of shooting are you going to use it for ? Paper punching ? Plinking ? What distance ?
    All of these things need to be considered .
    Last edited by Alakar; 10-07-2018 at 08:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alakar View Post
    Cheap , you won't go wrong with a CP1 CO2 pistol .
    Reasonable money you could look at Rohm pistols , both in CO2 and PCP.
    Excellent value and accuracy .
    I picked up a nice Rohm PCP with 3 mags and single shot adapter for £200
    SMK pp700 are available for around £150, don't be worried about it being SMK.
    £300 and your choice widens .
    Things to consider ;
    Single shot or multi shot ,
    Type and size of grip
    What type of shooting are you going to use it for ? Paper punching ? Plinking ? What distance ?
    All of these things need to be considered .
    Thanks, some good options to consider, for target I am happy with a single shooter
    Haven't considered size of grip
    Distance probably 10 to 20 metres at most

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Kennett View Post
    Thanks, some good options to consider, for target I am happy with a single shooter
    Haven't considered size of grip
    Distance probably 10 to 20 metres at most
    That's about the distance I'm shooting at .
    Plinking and paper targets out to 10m
    Pistol HFT out to around 20m .
    You don't need to be running at just under 6ft/lb
    My Rohm runs at around 3.5 which is more than adequate.
    Grips seem to be adjustable on many target pistols , just make sure that it feels right for you .

Quote Originally Posted by Alakar View Post
    That's about the distance I'm shooting at .
    Plinking and paper targets out to 10m
    Pistol HFT out to around 20m .
    You don't need to be running at just under 6ft/lb
    My Rohm runs at around 3.5 which is more than adequate.
    Grips seem to be adjustable on many target pistols , just make sure that it feels right for you .
    Thanks for the feedback

Gamo Compact is a nice basic target pistol, single stroke pneumatic, adjustable grips & less than £200 new.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilnrLincoln View Post
    Gamo Compact is a nice basic target pistol, single stroke pneumatic, adjustable grips & less than £200 new.
    Nice one thanks, will check that out

Look at the Lov 21. You'll have £200 change from your budget.
    It's a single shot CO2 pistol that is accurate and powerful enough to punch clean holes
    In targets at 10M. Very accurate too.
    The Mayor: Intent? How did you establish that?
    Harry Callahan: When a man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher’s knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn’t out collecting for the Red Cross.

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector 71 View Post
    Look at the Lov 21. You'll have £200 change from your budget.
    It's a single shot CO2 pistol that is accurate and powerful enough to punch clean holes
    In targets at 10M. Very accurate too.
    Thanks not heard of that, I'll take a look

Hi,
    if you're going to be using a scope then the pp700sa is hard to beat for the price, extremely accurate and very powerful. Open sights are useless on it though, so no good for 10 meter target.

I do pistol hft with open sights, so if you can find a good PCP with open sights you can use it for both.

It needs to be relatively powerful to knock down hft targets, and a 45+ shot count to make it round the course.

I use a 1983 semi-recoiless spring powered Feinwerkbau 90 (electronic trigger) for HFT and the missus uses a scoped pp700sa and we do pretty well.

Cheers,
    Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    Hi,
    if you're going to be using a scope then the pp700sa is hard to beat for the price, extremely accurate and very powerful. Open sights are useless on it though, so no good for 10 meter target.

I do pistol hft with open sights, so if you can find a good PCP with open sights you can use it for both.

It needs to be relatively powerful to knock down hft targets, and a 45+ shot count to make it round the course.

I use a 1983 semi-recoiless spring powered Feinwerkbau 90 (electronic trigger) for HFT and the missus uses a scoped pp700sa and we do pretty well.

Cheers,
    Matt.
    Thanks Matt

May I ask what scope your other half uses on the PP700sa

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Kennett View Post
    Thanks Matt

May I ask what scope your other half uses on the PP700sa
    It’s an AGS 2x20. Not expensive but perfectly adequate.
    It’s one you have to hold at full arms length to get the sight picture, as she prefers this position when shooting two handed, but they do a variety.

A lot of people fit rifle scopes to pistols for hft, then rest the pistol in the crook of their supporting arm and bring the scope right up their eye. We prefer the ‘weaver’ stance as it seems like a more natural pistol shooting stance, but each to there own.

Cheers,
    Matt.

It’s one you have to hold at full arms length to get the sight picture, as she prefers this position when shooting two handed, but they do a variety.

A lot of people fit rifle scopes to pistols for hft, then rest the pistol in the crook of their supporting arm and bring the scope right up their eye. We prefer the ‘weaver’ stance as it seems like a more natural pistol shooting stance, but each to there own.

Cheers,
    Matt.
    Thanks Matt that is very useful

Cheers,
    Matt.
    Try “modern isosceles”. Basically Weaver (or “modified Weaver” - Cooper used to insist on locked straight legs, which turned out not to be a great idea) from the waist down, isosceles from the waist up. Slight forward lean for recoil control - not needed on air pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Try “modern isosceles”. Basically Weaver (or “modified Weaver” - Cooper used to insist on locked straight legs, which turned out not to be a great idea) from the waist down, isosceles from the waist up. Slight forward lean for recoil control - not needed on air pistols.
    That's interesting....never heard of that before.
    Turns out I use an upright version of the modified isosceles: almost square on but not quite, supporting arm only slightly more bent than the shooting arm, and even leaning back slighty.

I used to use a full weaver stance but found it more stable to stand slightly squarer to the target, taking a queue from 10metre where we're taught not to 'muscle' the pistol onto the target. I suppose it's all about stability and balance through the shot cycle rather than managing recoil.

Must be a modified modified isosceles!

nice one,

Matt.