Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pistol choice

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    That's interesting....never heard of that before.
    Turns out I use an upright version of the modified isosceles: almost square on but not quite, supporting arm only slightly more bent than the shooting arm, and even leaning back slighty.

I used to use a full weaver stance but found it more stable to stand slightly squarer to the target, taking a queue from 10metre where we're taught not to 'muscle' the pistol onto the target. I suppose it's all about stability and balance through the shot cycle rather than managing recoil.

Must be a modified modified isosceles!

nice one,

Matt.
    Cool.

Despite the old theories around the Weaver variants, what really matters is the grip on the gun. That is what controls both sight alignment and recoil control. About 70% of effectiveness of the position is grip. The further away you get from the grip (eg legs) the less important it is. A bit of forward lean is important, but the state of your knees is basically a red herring. Unless you are shooting 10M match, where it all matters. But if your grip is poor, you will not succeed.

Another vote for the CP1.
    Quality above it's price point and easily mod-able.

Paul55 is offline I get by with a little help from my friends
    As you originally asked for a pistol for fun, plinking & target use I'm going to suggest two revolvers both Co2, both .177, both great fun & very accurate. They are the Umarex 586/686 6" barrel & the Webley MkVI pellet version.
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55
    Been there, bought it, tried it, sold it

Id go as high as possible to your budgets limit. The better the pistol will be.
    Imo, the CP1 is far too cheap. Here you can buy it with a 100 budget iirc
    Id look for a sechand Tau 7 or other matchpistol. You wont be disappointed
    ATB,
    yana

pistol

For powdered handguns I use a modified Isosceles. Haven's shot airguns enough to have a preference. Since recoil isn't as much of a factor I need to get out there and experiment.

Phil,

If you're interested, i have a HW40 you could borrow it for a week or so to see if you liked it.

Its not what you would call a target pistol but very accurate for informal paper punching.

It is in pristine condition so as long as it comes back in that condition, you are welcome to give it a try.

My office is not far from you so pm me of you are interested.
    Some V-glide 80's, V-glide Tomahawk and a couple of Rapids